Liquid Malt Extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col222

Reaction score
I have a can of Coopers 1.5kg Light Liquid Malt Extract and i have never done a brew with LME so can anyone help me with the process in using to make a beer ? I have know recipe to follow but i would like to make a 2 gallon brew so i am not sure how much to use out of the can for that ?

Are you an experienced brewer? What kind of beer are you looking for? With one can of light DME, that will be limited.
Basically need a little more info.
Edit: If you could clarify "know" in your post; it could either be "no" or "known." Thanks.

Warm can in hot water malt will flow out easier add to a few liters of water bring to boil throw a few hops in for desired flavour throw in fv top up with cold water to desired level add yeast at correct temp
2 to 3 weeks bottle,keg

I have a can of Coopers 1.5kg Light Liquid Malt Extract and i have never done a brew with LME so can anyone help me with the process in using to make a beer ? I have know recipe to follow but i would like to make a 2 gallon brew so i am not sure how much to use out of the can for that ?
Use the whole can; liquid malt extract does not age well.

Are you an experienced brewer? What kind of beer are you looking for? With one can of light DME, that will be limited.
Basically need a little more info.
Edit: If you could clarify "know" in your post; it could either be "no" or "known." Thanks.
I am still quite new i have got about 5 small brews under my belt , I started using crushed grain malts with a mash and boil but never used LME or DME , I am not to fussy when it comes to beer i don't mind experimenting a bit and will drink how ever it turns out, I was thinking of doing a brew using crushed malts and LME like half of both , would it be ok to put the LME at the end of the boil if i do ?

would it be ok to put the LME at the end of the boil if i do ?
Good, your answer helps. Yes, both. There are base grains and then specialty ones. Base gets you more sugar. Specialty gets you mostly color and flavor. You probably know this already.
It's good to put as much LME at the end as possible so it won't get darker than what you're looking for.
Since you're doing all-grain, you're a step up easily.
I would use a calculator and then you can figure your batch size and amounts. With a two gallon batch, that can is plenty. Maybe experiment with some specialty grains.
Brewer's Friend has a calculator that can get you what you want.

FERMENTABLES
6.6 lb. Extra Light LME
1.0 lb. Soft Candi Sugar
SPECIALTY GRAINS
8 oz. Caramel 30L
4 oz. Flaked Wheat
HOPS
2 - 1 oz. packs of Simcoe
1 oz. Amarillo
.5 oz. El Dorado
Edit: use 1/2 pack or so of an 11g Belgian dry yeast.

I stole this from Brewer's Best kits recipe section. That's for 5 gallons US. To make it easy, I'd use litres. The above would be 19l. You want 40% or so of all the ingredients listed so you can do a straight downsize.
It's a nice, simple recipe. You can substitute table sugar if you want.

Back