Liquid versus dry yeast fermentation time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
Maybe a daft question but as a general rule of thumb does liquid yeast take longer to ferment than dry ? I’ve just started experimenting using liquid yeast after using dry for years. With the dry stuff I used mostly US05, S04, BRY97, Nottingham and found I would reach FG within a week, I would leave the beer fermenting for two weeks, rarely ever taking a FG reading because fermentation consistently finished well before two weeks was up. I use two packs of dry, rehydrated, for 1.065 SG.
I have an IPA in the FV now, I used WLP001, 1.5 litre yeast starter. As I’m curious I have taken regular readings, it’s taken 12 days to reach 1.012, longer than US05 would take in my experience. Seems I need to take readings with the liquid stuff rather than just leaving it for two weeks.

Maybe a daft question but as a general rule of thumb does liquid yeast take longer to ferment than dry ? I’ve just started experimenting using liquid yeast after using dry for years. With the dry stuff I used mostly US05, S04, BRY97, Nottingham and found I would reach FG within a week, I would leave the beer fermenting for two weeks, rarely ever taking a FG reading because fermentation consistently finished well before two weeks was up. I use two packs of dry, rehydrated, for 1.065 SG.
I have an IPA in the FV now, I used WLP001, 1.5 litre yeast starter. As I’m curious I have taken regular readings, it’s taken 12 days to reach 1.012, longer than US05 would take in my experience. Seems I need to take readings with the liquid stuff rather than just leaving it for two weeks.
I don't think it has anything to do with dry vs liquid, they're just different strains with different characteristics. If you buy the liquid versions of the US05 strain (the Chico strain, I believe it's called) it should ferment out in pretty much the same time (albeit it may appear quicker as liquid yeasts tend to have a shorter lag time from pitch to noticeable activity).

Two of the dry strains you mention (US05 and BRY97) are noted for being fairly fast starters and finishers so it's possible you've got used to that as the norm, whereas other strains can take much longer.

I will also be to do with cell numbers. A pack of dry yeast has loads more cells in it than are actually needed to do the job. More cells faster fermentation. Kind of like it would take 3 men a lot quicker to dig a 12ft hole than one man

I don't think it has anything to do with dry vs liquid, they're just different strains with different characteristics. If you buy the liquid versions of the US05 strain (the Chico strain, I believe it's called) it should ferment out in pretty much the same time (albeit it may appear quicker as liquid yeasts tend to have a shorter lag time from pitch to noticeable activity).

Two of the dry strains you mention (US05 and BRY97) are noted for being fairly fast starters and finishers so it's possible you've got used to that as the norm, whereas other strains can take much longer.
Makes sense thx

Latest posts

Back