Liquid yeast starter, is it OK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've made my first yeast starter with liquid yeast for a lager kit. Perhaps a silly question! Would you be able to judge, with the attached image, if there is an appropriate layer of yeast at the bottom of the flask to commence?
Would appreciate some help or guidance.

Attachments

• Yeast Starter.jpg
    Yeast Starter.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 19
Delighted with your positive reply Foxbat & St00. Do I now remove top liquid, leaving about 500ml, swirl and add to the water & spray malt in FV cold, as I have cold crashed the starter, or do I heat up a little making sure it is cooler than what is in the FV?

Delighted with your positive reply Foxbat & St00. Do I now remove top liquid, leaving about 500ml, swirl and add to the water & spray malt in FV cold, as I have cold crashed the starter, or do I heat up a little making sure it is cooler than what is in the FV?
I pour off most of the excess and leave it to reach room temp if it's been in the fridge. Then I swirl it into suspension and pitch it as normal.

Thanks again St00. One final query - as it has just come out of fridge, its going to take some time to reach room temperature, any quick suggestions?

Don't raise the temp too quick. Mine is on the warm spot on top of the fridge towards the back

Thanks again St00. One final query - as it has just come out of fridge, its going to take some time to reach room temperature, any quick suggestions?

If it's lager yeast you can just pitch it straight in. If it's ale yeast just give it 10-30 minutes at room temp. At worst it'll lengthen it's lag time, unless your wort isn't at pitching temp it'll be fine.

If it's lager yeast you can just pitch it straight in. If it's ale yeast just give it 10-30 minutes at room temp. At worst it'll lengthen it's lag time, unless your wort isn't at pitching temp it'll be fine.
Again thanks ST00, lager yeast and have just pitched. Cheers.

Thanks AJA, glad you informed me. Probably would have killed the yeast.
No worries, I've heard of one people putting them on the radiator and forgetting 😱. It probably won't kill them, might end up making things you don't want though.

Back