Liquor Treatment and Mash pH Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1634 Racine

Reaction score
HI All. I'm just starting to dabble a bit more in the water chemistry and would appreciate any advice on the following. I'm looking to adjust my base water for a pale ale recipe.

Source water as follows:

Calcium (ppm)Magnesium (ppm)Alkalinity as CaCO3Sulfate (ppm)Chloride (ppm)Sodium (ppm)Water pH

So I figured a generous addition of Gypsum would bump up my calcium and sulphates. Then a smaller addition of Epsom salts to bring me to the following:

Final Calcium (ppm)Final Magnesium (ppm)Final Total Alkalinity as CaCO3Final Sulfate (ppm)Final Chloride (ppm)Final Sodium (ppm)Final Residual Alkalinity as CaCO3

However, when I use that target water profile in Beersmith I get an estimated mash pH of 5.64. Grain bill is just MO + small amount of crystal.

If I include an acid addition to remove at alkalinity I get a very low RA and Beersmith says it only reduces estimated mash pH to 5.53

Final Calcium (ppm)Final Magnesium (ppm)Final Total Alkalinity as CaCO3Final Sulfate (ppm)Final Chloride (ppm)Final Sodium (ppm)Final Residual Alkalinity as CaCO3
8815-122810862-73

Any thoughts on what a good approach would be to get a suitable water profile and mash pH?

Back