Liquor/Water Analysis - Murphy & Son, anyone used their service?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdinBrewer

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a Liquor/Water Analysis done on my local water supply so I can start getting to grips with water profiles.

I've come across this crowd: https://www.murphyandson.co.uk/our-laboratory-services/chemistry-microbiological-tests/ who seem to offer a service of sending in 50 mls of water in a sealed container and they'll give you a breakdown of the components for your base water profile. The Liquor Analysis from their price list looks to be what I'm after but I don't know whether the £34.50 is considered expensive?

Has anyone on here used these guys for this?

I'm using BeerSmith for creating recipes and water profiles, so I'm looking to get the information in the screenshot attached.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• BeerSmith-WaterProfile.PNG
    BeerSmith-WaterProfile.PNG
    54.4 KB · Views: 173
I haven't. However, years ago a few of us from homebrew club were getting into water treatment at the same time, and one was also starting a small scale micro brewery in his shed. He used Murphys, and was happy with the service and recommendations for his beers. The results aligned with that the rest of us obtained using Salifert Alkalinity test kit and United Utilities online water report. We were all supplied from the same local reservoir.

An accurate report, but only applicable for the day you take the sample.

I have used this service a few years ago. Gave the information that was needed..I should probably get another one done soon. I have used alkalinity kit more recently and gave similar information although not as detailed so I'm happy it will be in the ball park. I cut my tap water with 60-90% RO depending on the beer and my PH levels at mash have been spot on so can't be too far out

I have just contacted Neil at pheonix analytical. He is doing a batch in the next few weeks.

Is he Wallybrew on this forum?

I have just contacted Neil at pheonix analytical. He is doing a batch in the next few weeks.

Is he Wallybrew on this forum?
He is Wallybrew on another forum so it is likely that he is Wallybrew here.

Had an analysis done by him a couple of months ago.

He is Wallybrew on another forum so it is likely that he is Wallybrew here.

Had an analysis done by him a couple of months ago.

Yeah I missed that one. Time got away.

Don't dislike Murphy's but I have noticed Neil is more comprehensive. It will give you more detail.

I have used Murphy's this year, I was happy with the service and the report. I had worked out my own water additions several years ago, the report for bitters wasn't hugely different than I had calculated ( which I liked) it did also give profiles for other beers, again I liked that. Overall it led me to make some tweaks I hadn't considered, has it improved my beer, who knows maybe slightly but the geek in me feels good about the tweaks. I would use them again.

Someone mentioned Phoenix to me so Iooked them up. The web page is...how shall I say... Basic.
But if people recommended it then I shall get in touch.

Someone mentioned Phoenix to me so Iooked them up. The web page is...how shall I say... Basic.
But if people recommended it then I shall get in touch.
Don't worry about that, just email him and say you want a brewing water analysis, he will tell you what to do which is basically send a PET bottle of tap water and the address and price, he only does one run a month I think but very good service nonetheless.

Don't worry about that, just email him and say you want a brewing water analysis, he will tell you what to do which is basically send a PET bottle of tap water and the address and price, he only does one run a month I think but very good service nonetheless.
Thanks for the heads up on this! I've emailed.

For me, the water reports I have are from 2019 and everytime I ask for updated ones they send that plus slightly different numbers which are around the same ballpark. I think it'd be good to just confirm for sure! I'm also going to be stepping up the brews in the next few months so I think the timing makes sense.

I used water reports. Seemed ok
Couple of years ago really did the maths and started with AMS and DWB.
It made a difference.
So lab analysis for me seems the next step.

I used water reports. Seemed ok
Couple of years ago really did the maths and started with AMS and DWB.
It made a difference.
So lab analysis for me seems the next step.
That's where I am at the moment. Anglian water and using AMS plus DWB with their data sheets indicating how much to use.
I was thinking of getting a proper analysis but the cost put me off.

Back