Liquor/Water Analysis - Murphy & Son, anyone used their service?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phoenix is the dog's dangles. Had a problem with Murphy's several years ago, in those days they were still allowed to sell us sulphuric acid. I started to brew with the acid working on the strength printed on the bottle but soon realized something wasn't right. After a bit of research, and the help of a few other brewers, I worked out the correct strength and it was sorted. I just thought their lab would get a basic like the strength right.

I also sent mine and received the results Sunday morning. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the water profile here in Sheffield is much lower in minerals than it suggests in the water reports, so well worth the money. Great service from Neil!

How did yours go @MashBag?

also sent mine and received the results Sunday morning. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the water profile here in Sheffield is much lower in minerals than it suggests in the water reports
Were they lower than the lowest figure in your water company report or just lower than the average? Water companies tend to test several times a year and give min/max and average values, mineral levels can vary over time a fair bit depending on your water source.

Were they lower than the lowest figure in your water company report or just lower than the average? Water companies tend to test several times a year and give min/max and average values, mineral levels can vary over time a fair bit depending on your water source.
Still quite a bit lower than the minimum stated on the latest water report I have to hand/can find (Jan 23)! I've emailed Yorkshire Water and asked them to send the latest.

Neil advised that I buy a TDS Meter and gave me the ballpark figure it should be based on his test results - I bought a cheap one on Aliexpress that had decent reviews. I think I'll use that as a quick check before I brew/go mad with any water additions.

Back