Locked threads??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is there no point in discussing it?

I thought i had covered it here what is left to discuss?

The Mod team introduced the bridge forum at a time when feelings over the governments handling of Covid was running very high and we were getting complaints from members who didn't want to see those threads listed in new posts in the Snug (even though the actual posts are not visible) the owners had no input in that decision as it wasn't needed.

Members haven't lost anything the snug is still there the OTR is a private forum for those that want to help pay for the upkeep of the forum how do you come to the conclusion the owners aren't interested in what the site users think as i have said members haven't had anything taken away.

The OTF was introduced for the reasons i have given several times and as i have said several times no one is forcing members to support the forum or use the OTR forum those that don't want to support the forum can carry on using the snug they will not be missing out as no threads from the snug will now be moved to the OTR forum for the reason below.

The Snug - If you don't like the look of the thread title don't click on it, posts don't show in new posts just the title so you are not forced to read any thread content, if you want to steer clear of all political debate you have the option to do so.

I thought i had covered it here what is left to discuss?

The Mod team introduced the bridge forum at a time when feelings over the governments handling of Covid was running very high and we were getting complaints from members who didn't want to see those threads listed in new posts in the Snug (even though the actual posts are not visible) the owners had no input in that decision as it wasn't needed.

Members haven't lost anything the snug is still there the OTR is a private forum for those that want to help pay for the upkeep of the forum how do you come to the conclusion the owners aren't interested in what the site users think as i have said members haven't had anything taken away.

The OTF was introduced for the reasons i have given several times and as i have said several times no one is forcing members to support the forum or use the OTR forum those that don't want to support the forum can carry on using the snug they will not be missing out as no threads from the snug will now be moved to the OTR forum for the reason below.

The Snug - If you don't like the look of the thread title don't click on it, posts don't show in new posts just the title so you are not forced to read any thread content, if you want to steer clear of all political debate you have the option to do so.
Whether or not it's a good idea? Whether or not the owners are making the right choice?

Seems to me that before the 'OTR' we had a forum model that worked for members, well certainly me, and now we don't.
If the reasons for bringing about this change are really commercial then can someone be honest about it?

All bridge threads will be back in the Snug in a minute i hadn't realise this is what it was all about.
Yeah, not shutting down discussion would have helped with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me that before the 'OTR' we had a forum model that worked for members, well certainly me, and now we don't.
If the reasons for bringing about this change are really commercial then can someone be honest about it?

I guess you missed my earlier post Terry is this honest enough?

As the original reason the OTR forum was introduced will have probably been lost in all this discussion here is a reminder -

We are trying to get members to support the forum as the £16 annual fee (or monthly £3 fee) helps pay for the upkeep of the forum there isn't much we can offer to persuade members to part with their hard earned money so the private forum was added to the list of advantages (see list below)

Angie -
This forum is so you can post without the bots and outsiders cannot see the content. Just the title.
Also, it does not have to be homebrewing related, please feel free to try it out. This is an area that only Supporting Members and staff can read the threads.

My first post -
As the forum title description says this is a private area for supporting members, normal forum rules apply but a little leeway might be allowed for certain topics if agreed before posting.
Search engine bots and non-supporting members cannot see the content of this forum so nothing posted here will appear in any searches engine results.

The Homebrew Forum Supporting Membership Benefits

• Access to active private forum for Supporting Members only.
  • Post & thread editing time increases to one month.
  • Recognition of your Supporting Member status.
  • The ability to post in Classifieds without waiting.
  • The ability to turn off advertisements.
  • Unlimited private message space.
  • Unlimited file attachment space.
  • Unlimited gallery space.
  • The satisfaction that you are supporting The Homebrew Forum's future and it's role within the hobby as a library of knowledge and community.

Last edited:
Hmmm...just a scenario...could a Supporting Member,if they chose,still have the option NOT to have access to stuff they might be tempted to look at...

Hmmm...just a scenario...could a Supporting Member,if they chose,still have the option NOT to have access to stuff they might be tempted to look at...

Any member can be excluded from any forum all they need to do is PM an Admin.

It also works the other way Simon is an advertising sponsor he had to ask to be allowed into the Off the Record forum as he was excluded.

Oooft
Is everyone running out of beer
Steady on everyone. Let's not fall out as a new dawn rises in the West. (Make what you will of that one!)
Just because we haven't got Trump to hate and revile and genuinely slag off any more, doesn't mean we have to start on each other. I for one thought it was a good idea to have a corner where we could let off steam by crucifying our favourite charlatan, whether it be Bojo, Farage, Erdogan, Corbin (leave the lad alone, he's a good egg), etc. While those of a more placid kidney could continue to enjoy their pint and see good in the word without having to listen to us. I've read the oft repeated reasons Chippy has posted and I see, but I don't fully get it. But it's not worth seriously falling out over, is it? On the other hand, it was always thus in Valhalla!
Oh, yes please. Mine's a pint of the usual. Ta. acheers.

I'm not one to fall out over something like this, I think it's entirely possible to disagree with someone without it becoming personal. Ya barstewards.

It's a shame the new owner took away my supporting status otherwise I may enjoy the new forum. Nevermind this entertaining enough.

It's a shame the new owner took away my supporting status otherwise I may enjoy the new forum. Nevermind this entertaining enough.

Likewise, it was never explained either

Why didn't you ask at the time i would have been more than happy to put you straight.

Many years ago when we didn't have as many regular contributors as we do now the mods team decided we would give certain members supporting member status free of charge as a thanks for their input (the original owners were never consulted) a few years later when the forum changed hands the lack of payments was noticed and it was decided those that do not pay should no longer get it free of charge when many members have paid to support the forum.

Their £16 a year (or £3 a month) helps keep the place running and as everyone knows its not compulsory.

Help Support The Home Brew Forum(£3 per month or £16 per year) - Check out the benefits and how to sign up HERE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back