London and south east 2018 homebrew comp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good! I'll definitely wanna swap competition beers, but will see what else I have knocking around at the time. I've made a gose, hopefully have some of that left as it would be good to get some feedback.

Sounds like it could be an interesting one. I guess it would depend on when people were planning on going. Especially if your feeling bold and want to be there when the winners are announced.

Entries just reopened and I decided to throw a couple in. Would be great to meet anyone who’s heading there on the day, forum t-shirts?

I'll be heading down on the Sunday. I don't have a t-shirt but maybe I'll have a badge that says JCEG316.

Who else is heading down this Sunday? I'll probably arrive at 2pm and stay for a couple of hours.

I'm gonna bring some of my brews with me to swap. Might be easier just to bring a selection and swap on the day.

Yeah I'll be there. Hoping to get there around 1pm when it kicks off so I can get a couple of hours of sampling in before the award ceremony. Can PM you my number, otherwise I look like this. Will bring a few bottles for swaps: triple, coconut IPA, black IPA, IPA, and whatever I can dig out from the shed.
20170216_112004.jpg

Awesome! Will see you there. I will have the beers I entered: chocolate coffee stout, DIPA, damson tripel, along with some others, probably a Belgian stout, wheat beer, grapefruit IPA, maybe even a TC.

Afraid I’m not going to be able to make it today, life has caught up a bit this week and loads of jobs to do! Hope those that do attend have fun and good luck with the results!

Any joy on the ribbon from those on the forum?

I had three beers in myself. Scores were 25, 26 and 31 but no cigar sadly. Looking forward to seeing the judges feedback.

My Black IPA got 39, made it to the mini-BoS and got an honourable mention. The event was fun. Loads of beers to taste. It was nice to meet up with @jceg316 and try some of the great and not-so-great beers. There were loads of middling examples, and a few that stood out, including an EisDIPA, a rose sour, some over-the-top peppery saison and whole slew of super-hopped American IPAs. I also learnt that beetroot and beer do not belong together. Fun was had, head not fully working this morning.

Wow! Sounds great! Also, a 39 point scoring beer not picking up a medal - that's incredible. Shows you the standard of the competition. Well in Iain, that's an amazing score! Fair play to you sir.

Was a good day at the brewery drinking all those homebrews. As @IanM says, there were a lot of middling beers, but with no winners this time myself I can't complain. BTW where did you get your feedback?

Wow! Sounds great! Also, a 39 point scoring beer not picking up a medal - that's incredible. Shows you the standard of the competition. Well in Iain, that's an amazing score! Fair play to you sir.

Well done Iain, 39 is a damn good score.

Cheers, I was pretty chuffed with it, 4th version of the recipe, the grain bill getting simpler every time, and I think I've cracked that. Just need to work on the hops now, and time my brew days to match up with the comps because the hops were starting to fade on this one.

BTW where did you get your feedback?

No feedback yet, but if you log in it gives you your score next to the entries.

Hi All

I entered an Oatmeal Stout yesterday, it was my first competition. It was great fun.

I didn't win anything (except on the raffle) but logging in today I can see I scored as 32. I've got no context to put that in though as I'm not sure how the scoring works.

Is there a set scoring format for how the scoring works at competitions? Is this 32 out of 50, 32 out of 100? Any advice would be much appreciated.

@TomFromEnfield 32 out of 50

One of my scores is missing, but I know it isn’t in the top five on the table!

When I tested my hefeweizen I thought twice about sending it off, as something (actually maybe multiple things!) are definitely not right. But it was past the date for changing entries so I thought what the heck and sent it. Hopefully I’ll get some useful feedback on it because the score is as terrible as I thought it might be

Is that how it works then? Do we get some further feedback on the competition site later? If that's the case then hopefully your score will update on the site later.

Hi All

I entered an Oatmeal Stout yesterday, it was my first competition. It was great fun.

I didn't win anything (except on the raffle) but logging in today I can see I scored as 32. I've got no context to put that in though as I'm not sure how the scoring works.

Is there a set scoring format for how the scoring works at competitions? Is this 32 out of 50, 32 out of 100? Any advice would be much appreciated.

32 is a solid score. Well done on your first entry into a competition!

Latest posts

Back