London Water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoddsx

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing my first brew in London and I'm going for an IPA. I wanted to know what others did in similar positions, tap water treated/untreated (If treated how?) or shop bought water (if so which)?

Cheers,

Odin

First get a London water report... and a Carbon block filter from RO king devotedly discus . Ask for Mark he is in the know.
Then pop back to us....

London has very hard water and not great for IPAs. I use CRS and epsom salts to change the water profile. I got a water report of my tapwater, and filled in what I could with this calculator which gave me how much of each I need to use. I'm based South East on Thames Water, I tend to use 1.4ml of CRS per litre of water and a pinch of epsom salts. This will be a bit different for you depending on your profile.

You might find this thread and this thread useful too.

I use Peckham Springs for brewing cant fault it :D

Seriously though, London council pop isnt good for pale beer straight out of the tap (great for dark beers though). I simply strip the alkalinity out using 0.85ml/L of CRS. I find the rest of water treatment too confusing so I dont do anything further but then again I dont make IPA's. If I did I'd probably need to add gypsum or somthing

Thanks guys, I'm in SE London as well. I went for straight tap water this time as I read to get the basics right before worrying too much about the water. Appreciate the info and will try to give it a go next time.

Latest posts

Back