Long Shanks...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveElder

Reaction score
Hi all,

After months of consideration i’ve decided to bite the bullet and embark on a kegerator build.

I’m pretty comfortable with the basics of the kegerator but as the garage backs onto the kitchen I’d really like to mount the taps in the kitchen with the kegerator in the garage.

The wall between the kitchen and garage is around 170mm and i’m struggling to find a faucet shank long enough. Anyone know where I could get one?

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks for the responses chaps.

JG push fit extensions on pvc tube? Copper tubes? Stainless tube? Beer line through the wall?

Cobbling something together was my first thought, but as the nuts on either side of the shank effectively fix the faucet in place using anything other than a 'hard connection' appears difficult. Something stainless passing through the wall with the correct threads on either side would work... but that does mean getting the correct threads.. which feels tricky! I could push the beer lines through the wall, and it would definitely mean smaller diameter holes passing through but it would need I would need to mount the faucets on a board in front of the wall rather than having them flush to the wall... whilst doable, not ideal.

Thanks for the link to Kegworks Ghillie. Ordering something like this from the States is a possibility. The 8inch that i need is currently out of stock but I'll keep an eye on it. Does you know if the threads / diameters for the US shaft would work with an Intertap faucet bought in the UK (I'm thinking NPT v BSP... problems?).. I suppose I could get all the parts from Kegworks...

Thanks again,
Steve

Thanks for the link to Kegworks Ghillie. Ordering something like this from the States is a possibility. The 8inch that i need is currently out of stock but I'll keep an eye on it. Does you know if the threads / diameters for the US shaft would work with an Intertap faucet bought in the UK (I'm thinking NPT v BSP... problems?).. I suppose I could get all the parts from Kegworks...
I'd doubt if everything would run smoothly, i.e. couplers marry with shank thread, etc. But that's the pessimist in me. Every "plumbing" project I ever tackle results in multiple runs to the hardware shop and ultimately a drawer of unsuitable fittings left over...

Is it a brick wall between the garage and kitchen? If this is the case then it may prove difficult, but... cutting out a breeze block and fitting some sort of box is an option. The beauty of that being that you could run your beer lines into it and connect some sort of pipe work to it from the keezer so that it remains cold, keeping your beer lines cool:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/through-wall-taps.559450/

Oh and I just found these, might be just what you're looking for! Cut to size and use John Guest 3/8" to 1/4" push fit connectors for your beer lines? Or jubilee clips, hose clamps, etc.

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/24-wall-shank.html

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=361435839154

This shouldn't be a hard job,... How do pubs manage to run beer lines from cellars?
I agree, but it's not so much about the difficulty - rather making it look nice without wrecking the house...

Take a look in the majority of pub cellars and they're a total mess. Lines roughly shoved up through holes in the cellar ceiling, roughly through the underside of bar, then all covered by the bar top. Drilling from the garage to the kitchen, there's not the luxury of being able to hide a rough job.

I would chop a back box into the wall myself, much like when you install a new plug socket in the wall. The taps could then fit through a panel that fixes flush to the wall. In fact, I wonder whether you could just use some 47mm galvanised back boxes with a stainless steel blanking plate in which you drill the hole for a short tap shank? The back box should have enough space to fit the shank, nut and an elbow barb and allow for a small amount of beer line to be coiled up to allow for some serviceability.

@Bezza back boxes are a great idea to bring down the depth. The Malt Miller sell long shanks - the longest is 160mm. Not sure if a coupling is available to join one to an existing tap shank to make up an even longer one.

Hi @SteveElder
Your plan depends on several variables. Is your wall single or double skin? You may be looking at quite a long shank, and this will push the cost up.
The shank diameter means that you will be drilling quite a large diameter hole. Do you have a large enough bit, or are you going to chop out a hole?
I opted for trips out to the outhouse to pull my pints - although my chiller backed onto the kitchen wall, I considered the problems of putting the taps in the kitchen to be too great to attempt a solution, added to which The Master of the Blue Horizons would not permit it :D

You can get plenty of stainless steel plumbing fittings. If you do need to go through the wall and can't find a long enough shank, using a short shank and joining to stainless steel pipe using a threaded to compression fitting, and then running the pipe through the wall and converting back to threaded to get the nut on might achieve this. But all those fittings are going to be a bit pricey and it's perhaps not the neatest solution.

Only other solution I can think of is if you somehow countersunk the nut into the wall so that that tap screwed into the wall rather than through it. If you made a big enough hole, some sort of epoxy resin might hold it in place sufficiently. Again, you'd want the beer line to be running through the wall and joining the back of the shank, via a JG fitting, effectively within the wall. That should allow the beer line to spin whilst you to turn the tap and shank to remove, when needed.

Or, as an alternative, is there a way you could use a tower tap instead and come through the back of a cupboard and connect from beneath?

Hi @SteveElder
Saw this on another thread - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/ghillies-keezer-build-thread.80693/page-2#post-803861
The taps seem to be screwed onto the keezer collar.
AAAxxxTaps.jpg

Attachments

• AAATaps.jpg
    AAATaps.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 103
Some great responses there guys.

I’m currently looking at the long shank from Brewuk that Ghillie found. They look ideal... will test it out with one and add the other later if it works!

Ps.... the bosses permission has already been granted... remarkably... albeit the dartboard idea is never gonna fly!!! I’m thinking s stainless backing with some sort of stainless drip tray but we’ll see. I do also like the chalk board idea which may be simpler.

Will let you know how I get on!!

Steve

Some great responses there guys.

I’m currently looking at the long shank from Brewuk that Ghillie found. They look ideal... will test it out with one and add the other later if it works!

Ps.... the bosses permission has already been granted... remarkably... albeit the dartboard idea is never gonna fly!!! I’m thinking s stainless backing with some sort of stainless drip tray but we’ll see. I do also like the chalk board idea which may be simpler.

Will let you know how I get on!!

Steve

@SteveElder how did you get on with this project. I'm currently sizing up something similar only in my case it's a large boiler cupboard that backs against my kitchen. It's a single brick wall but the brick work is old and a bit crumbly which is making me wary or putting a hole cutter through it. I liked the look of these 24 inch wall shanks for that reason, i.e. would involve drilling much smaller holes.

Would be grateful to hear of your experience and any tips you could offer.

Cheers

@SteveElder how did you get on with this project. I'm currently sizing up something similar only in my case it's a large boiler cupboard that backs against my kitchen. It's a single brick wall but the brick work is old and a bit crumbly which is making me wary or putting a hole cutter through it. I liked the look of these 24 inch wall shanks for that reason, i.e. would involve drilling much smaller holes.

Would be grateful to hear of your experience and any tips you could offer.

Cheers

You realize this thread is from last year? Forumite SteveElder hasnt been on the forum since March 16 this year

Back