Longest period in fermentor?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac343

Reaction score
I've got my first homebrew going at the minute first 7 day reading was good so i added my hops, however today is the final day (3rd day) recommended for me to leave my hops in and to now bottle it if the readings are correct which they are. However the royal mail aren't doing too well on deliveries at the minute and i could do with my bottle capper arriving. Worst case i do have a pressure barrell but i wanted to put maybe about half into bottles. Will i be ok leaving it into the fermentor for a few extra days or should i just put it into the PB?

Thanks

Leave it. It'll be fine. Just keep the lid on and don't go prodding it. I used to open the fermenter every day when I started. Have a taste, throw the hydrometer in and flick it around trying to get the gravity scale to face me which usually took about an hour.

All the beers were awful and oxidsed to hell and tasted like sherry served over copper coins.

I routinely leave mine for 2 weeks and have left for 3 weeks before without any problems. My only concern might be the possibility of some of the dry hop flavour escaping.

Back