Longman Brewery Copper Hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grmski

Reaction score
I've got a bit of hankering for American Amber Ales at the moment and enjoy a beer like 5am Saint. They have a bit more complexity than typical American Pale Ales and can retain that hoppyness but balanced with a good malt profile.
So I've recently made the Fat Angel from the Clone Brews book which is conditioning at the moment but have nothing to compare it to, 'cos the beer isn't available in the UK.
Fortunately, I remembered a lovely amber ale that a local brewery, Longman in East Sussex, make each June. So kudos to them I've had a few twitter discussions and also getting some info from their site have come up with this first version of their Copper Hop beer that hopefully will tide me over until June when I can do a taste test.
They use their own yeast and don't bottle condition so I'm struggling for the yeast and I'm thinking of trying to harvest the yeast from a pint or two from a pub. Not sure if there's enough cells suspended in a pub pint to propagate though?
According to their site I've got the abv, ebc and ibu all correct so it will be a case of playing with the late additions to get the correct flavour and aroma. They recommended any high AA bittering hop and that flavour and aroma come from late additions of Citra and no dry hopping. From memory it doesn't have a very powerful Citra aroma which I think is explained by the no dry hopping so a 5 minute and flame out addition up the final ibu's and will hopefully give a nice flavour balanced by the vienna and crystal.

Happy to update this quest as it develops.

Copper Hop LMB v1
American Amber Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.200
Total Hops (g): 69.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.043 (°P): 10.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.22 %
Colour (SRM): 8.6 (EBC): 17.0
Bitterness (IBU): 41.8 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.700 kg Maris Otter Malt (88.1%)
0.250 kg Crystal 80 (5.95%)
0.250 kg Vienna (5.95%)

Hop Bill
----------------
17.0 g Warrior Pellet (15.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.7 g/L)
32.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
20.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Latest posts

Back