Looking for a book on the history and development of beer styles

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Welshwizard

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've beem reading the excellent 'How to Brew' for a while now in between making my own brews. I'm a beginner and my house only had a very small kitchen so for now I'm extract brewing.

I'd like to learn more about the history of the different kinds of beer styles that are put there though if possible. While there are all sorts of different styles of beer I've not yet found a good cpmprehensive guide that explains how they developed and why (though Palmer's notes on some of his recipes in 'How to Brew' are very good). Any recommendations? Cheers folks.

Hanglow

Landlord.
Reaction score
Also his blog zythophile is very good

Brew Britannia: The Strange Rebirth of British Beer: Amazon.co.uk: Boak, Jessica, Bailey, Ray: 8601411305658: Books is quite good and again their blog, boakandbailey, is excellent

Reaction score

dmtaylor

Reaction score

St00

Cad, bounder and blackguard
Reaction score
+1 on Ron Pattinson. Following is an outstanding book on old European beer styles:

I'll add that to my wishlist as the other one is only £2.99

Reaction score
Radical Brewing, by Randy Mosher.

And I +1 on Pattinson. Nearly had him booked for a talk last year, but you know: things and stuff...

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
Pattinson has his place and he's properly referred to as a "beer historian", but I get a sense that the OP is more interested in the socio-cultural development of a style than the evolution of a recipe or a brand. They are two sides of the same coin and I find both fascinating. I bought Mark Dredge's "A Brief History of Lager" in desperation at having nothing to read and I loved every page- discovering history through a lifelong pub crawl is definitely the way to do it. Again, I found Boak and Bailey's "Balmy (sic) Nectar" appalling, but The WIse One put "Gambrinus Waltz" into her Amazon Basket to make up the amount needed for free delivery and it's a cracking little booklet. Neither she nor I had ever heard of the battle of Fishguard in 1797 when we were invaded by the French- I'd thought they'd got all that out of their system in 1066!
I could mention Martyn Cornell's "Story of the Pint", which I enjoyed yonks and yonks ago, but It's so long ago I can't remember what's in it.
Edit:
Anything by Jeff Alworth is well worth reading.