Looking for a clean Kveik - Skare? Lutra? Tormodgarden? Hornindal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braumeister

Regular.
Reaction score
I’m thinking about setting up a 2nd fermenter in my garage, which would be without temperature control. So I guess the temperature is between 20 and 25 currently in there. I thought a kveik would be good for this. I have some harvested Voss but I’m looking for something cleaner tasting. I fermented that at 40c last brew and it was so orangey it’s ridiculous, totally overpowered the whole beer. Im thinking Lutra or Skare or Hornindal or Tormodgarden. I’m wondering if anyone has experience of using these at 20-25c? Did they turn out clean? Did they finish quicker than 2 weeks?

Looks like liquid Lutra is available, I could maybe get the others dried from Facebook. Looks like availability is pretty thin on the whole, especially Skare. Any advice where to get them would be appreciated too.

By the way, I’m looking at brewing pale ales/lagers. Maybe even Voss might be clean at 20-25? I have no idea. Even the yeast smells orangey so I would think it’s unlikely but 🤷‍♂️

Thanks @Rodcx500z do you think US-05 will be clean enough at 25? Wilko Gervin is Nottingham right? I might have to pop down and pick up a pack if it’s only £2.50. Although CML look like they have that too with free shipping!

I wonder what this one is like:

HøG-NORSK. Northern European Ale Yeast. Suitable to brew low ester ales with a clean palate even at high temps

wonder what this one is like:

I use it, both on its own and in a blend. I find it really neutral, to be honest, at 22/23°c. I don't get the attenuation CML list, though, but that isn't a big issue for me, I still get normal ale yeast attenuation levels.

Hog norst is very good, i have no temp control so have used most of the yeasts i have mentioned even voss from cml i dont get the orangy taste but that could just be me, today i brewed an ipa and ptitched cml 5 at 26c

HøG-NORSK. Northern European Ale Yeast. Suitable to brew low ester ales with a clean palate even at high temps
I use this quite a lot although I've no idea what Northern European Ale is meant to be. Not quite as flavourless as 5 and not quite as sticky to the bottle, though after a couple of weeks you can still pour the entire bottle and leave hardly anything behind. A good all-rounder I'd say.
Usual FG is around 1009. Perfectly OK up to 25c.

I’m thinking about setting up a 2nd fermenter in my garage, which would be without temperature control. So I guess the temperature is between 20 and 25 currently in there. I thought a kveik would be good for this. I have some harvested Voss but I’m looking for something cleaner tasting. I fermented that at 40c last brew and it was so orangey it’s ridiculous, totally overpowered the whole beer. Im thinking Lutra or Skare or Hornindal or Tormodgarden. I’m wondering if anyone has experience of using these at 20-25c? Did they turn out clean? Did they finish quicker than 2 weeks?

Looks like liquid Lutra is available, I could maybe get the others dried from Facebook. Looks like availability is pretty thin on the whole, especially Skare. Any advice where to get them would be appreciated too.
Don't like Voss, but Opshaug is quite a different kettle of fish.

Thanks @Rodcx500z do you think US-05 will be clean enough at 25? Wilko Gervin is Nottingham right? I might have to pop down and pick up a pack if it’s only £2.50. Although CML look like they have that too with free shipping!

I wonder what this one is like:

It's OK. I've used it, but only at 22-23C

Hornindial which is available dry didn’t seem to have too much of an impact on the flavour when I used it though I was fermenting relatively low (below 30°C) and in a very hoppy beer so this may have ensured that any flavour from the yeast was muted out.

Have you considered doing a saison? Belle Saison yeast works good in this temperature range.
My next batch will be a cider using EC-1118 which also works well in warmer weather.
Saison and cider are my heat of summer go to brews.

Have you considered doing a saison? Belle Saison yeast works good in this temperature range.
My next batch will be a cider using EC-1118 which also works well in warmer weather.
Saison and cider are my heat of summer go to brews.
Not sure I’ve ever had a saison, thanks for the suggestion!

Did you use the White Labs liquid version? I’m trying to find a dried version of this
Started with the white labs liquid and then dried out some I collected and been using the dried flakes ever since.
I keep them in the freezer and put a wafer about 4cm x 4cm in. Do use yeast nutrient in double dose.

Saison or biere de garde well worth brewing. I've got an Elderflower saison on tap and a Brett saison at the moment, amongst others.

Not sure I’ve ever had a saison, thanks for the suggestion!
Saisons aren’t for everyone (the yeast tends to gives a very distinctive taste) but really suggest trying one. The great thing about them is you can not give a damm about temperature control’ scew up your mash, and yet still end up with a great beer, as a style I would say it is the most idiot proof style there is.

One thing to bear in mind though a lot of Saison yeasts are diastaticus so will break down every little bit of sugar in their, so a) the style tends to be fairly dry and b) even with a fairly low OG they can end up fairly strong (FG of 1.000-1.002 are fairly typical, they are also really easy to drink which is a potentially lethal combination when you are looking at 7%+

Latest posts

Back