Looking for a Ruby ale kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the kit arrived on Friday and I started the process on Sunday, pitching the yeast at 16:00. The OG was 1045. Primary fermentation showed signs of starting at around 7:30 this morning and was soon 'audibly active'. Mind you, I am beginning to think the air lock I purchased is going to annoy me. Its one of the S trap type, with 3 spheres on each side. Filled to 1 1/2 spheres, it keeps pushing the water out so the fill is on the exit side only!

Anyway, I have a question. The instructions say to dry hop with the final 2 packets of hop pellets after 4 days, but is this a little early, if I expect the brew to remain in the FV for 14 days from the start, before bottling?
Defo. It’s the strongest hoppy beer I’ve made.

SG now 1010, so will check again tomorrow 🤞

Should I try to cold crash (ice or ice packs in the water bath) before bottling? I intend to transfer to another FV, batch prime and bottle from that.

SG now 1010, so will check again tomorrow 🤞

Should I try to cold crash (ice or ice packs in the water bath) before bottling? I intend to transfer to another FV, batch prime and bottle from that.
I did that but didn’t cold crash. I left in second fv a while to settle most of hops. I brewed 19 litres. Went from 1040 to 1004. I added too much priming sugar should have stuck with recommendations

Well, it's still on 1010, so I reckon it's about there. I simply cannot see it getting any lower, certainly not 1004 and as I added the second dose of hop pellets on Monday, it wouldn't be ideal to wait any longer. So, ice packs added to the water bath and I will change them tomorrow morning, bottling tomorrow evening.

So, getting ready to bottle tonight and will be batch priming with dextrose. The instructions suggest a maximum of 85g spraymalt, but how does that figure convert to dextrose?

Thanks

Started the Cwtch Yesterday and it already smells amazing. I’m generally really excited for this one. Shame I’m at least 24 days away.

All bottled now. Got 38 500ml bottles as I was a bit too careful not to disturb the trub.

Now the waiting game starts again 😗
Do you normally wait the stated time on the instructions or are you planning on leaving it long?

Started the Cwtch Yesterday and it already smells amazing. I’m generally really excited for this one. Shame I’m at least 24 days away.
Hi. Could you check something. I’m looking at my notes when I made it and I only made 19 litres. Is that the kit size or is the usual 23.

Do you normally wait the stated time on the instructions or are you planning on leaving it long?
From the experienced brewers on here, I am following the 2 weeks in the warm and 2 weeks in the cool before I sample. I expect that I will leave some much longer. I have bottled a couple in clear glass so I can see how it clears.

The instructions say to make up to 20 litres, which is what I did.
I filled up to 22 L by mistake I had a slightly angled fermenter trying to fit under the tap. I intend to bottle a couple of L as well to see the difference. I will leave it in the barrel as long as I can. But I guess it depends how I do resisting temptation.

Just drinking Bulldog bad cat imperial red. Brewed at 20 litres. 8.6abv so a bit on the strong side. Very hoppy but not as much as the cwtch

So, about an hour ago, I created a space in the garage where temperature should be pretty stable around 16°C to move the bottles to. After bottling, I had put them in 2 black, lidded boxes and haven't even lifted a lid until now. I had used 1 clear bottle so I could check on clarity etc, so I picked it out and sheer panic took over. There appeared to be a misty coating to the inside of the bottle and my thoughts went to pouring all of them down the sink. Anyway I decided to check further and open another bottle. A satisfying hiss told me that carbonation had occured and I carefully poured the contents into a glass, as the sediment layer seemed quite thick. The liquid smelled of beer and a good head formed, so the glass moved to my lips. The smell is quite hoppy and the first taste said Citra hops. Really nice mouth feel, the right amount of fizz on the tongue and the head stayed as I finished the glass. It's not fully clear but the next 14 days conditioning should sort that out. From panic to delight, all in 5 minutes, this is a cracking brew already and right up my street.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_172410.jpg
    IMG_20200606_172410.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20200606_175750.jpg
    IMG_20200606_175750.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 72
So, after just over 2 weeks in the bottle, I have a really good beer that is going to be difficult to keep out of my glass.

It's already pretty clear, and the sediment is holding well on the bottom. I am only losing, probably 20 to 25ml on the pour. The head is fantastic and stays down the glass. I would definitely brew this one again.

Next brew, however, will now be a Woodford Wherry and not a tweeked Cooper's AuPa, as my offspring treated me to the Wherry kit for Father's Day 😁. I hope this turns out as well as the Cwtch

Back