Looking for a UK yeast supplier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth Davies

Reaction score
We are looking for a UK yeast supplier to use in our All Grain brewing packs - we are keen to source ingredients from the UK. We love to use White Labs but they are State side. Can anyone recommend a good UK producer?

Think the first lot supply crossmyloof...
Wouldn't surprise me. They also make Mangrove Jacks products, judging by some packaging in the background of some of their promotional videos.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

CML get their yeast from somewhere in Germany. I read a post on another forum (cant rememer which one, maybe jims) by them,stating this themselves.
One of the many things I don't trust about them.

Packets state "Packed in a sterile environment (UK)", for except the Kolsch.

Website says "*Packed in a sterile environment by a dedicated yeast manufacturer"

But, they're from Germany?

All their descriptions reference similarities to MJ yeasts. So, I suspect they are MJ except the Kolsch which is likely from Germany.

Last edited:
True the yeasts are very cheap and not for everyone...I don't mind them but still learning. The hops all seem good and they have a great variety and you really can't knock the service.
Please elaborate....

One of the many things I don't trust about them.

Packets state "Packed in a sterile environment (UK)", for except the Kolsch.

Website says "*Packed in a sterile environment by a dedicated yeast manufacturer"

But, they're from Germany?

All their descriptions reference similarities to MJ yeasts. So, I suspect they are MJ except the Kolsch which is likely from Germany.

You know, I've never lookedclosely at the yeast packs. So perhaps you're right and some if not most as the same as MJ?

So...are they MJ?Easiest way may be to compare qualities with like for like users...for instance I've used loads of the US pale and can definitely state although it drops completely clear it isn't that flocculant...so pouring had to be careful.

Not saying Crossmyloof yeasts are bad, but it is all conjecture as to where these yeast are manufactured and/or repacked, with too many anomalies in their information. For the sake of an extra quid after a 5 hour brew day, I'd rather stick to a trusted source.

Not saying Crossmyloof yeasts are bad, but it is all conjecture as to where these yeast are manufactured and/or repacked, with too many anomalies in their information. For the sake of an extra quid after a 5 hour brew day, I'd rather stick to a trusted source.

Its fine if you've planned well and include your (established manufacturers) yeast in with your grain/hop order. But if you havent they can be quite convienient ias they dont have any P&P when you buy them from ebay

I guess. Although, I've never not got dry yeast in the fridge, either as insurance or for an impromptu brew.

CML is not MJ! I've used loads of CML in the last 2 years or so, but recently used a variety of MJs after reading lots of good stuff. I was initially very impressed with MJ but that must have been down to novelty value... upon reflection and time to evaluate, I'm going back to CML. Better, for me anyway, and half the price. And the flocculation characteristics of CML and MJ are a universe apart. That fact alone says they are not the same. They may be made by the same people, dunno, but the yeasts are certainly not the same.

Last edited:
And the flocculation characteristics of CML and MJ are a universe apart. That fact alone says they are not the same. They may be made by the same people, dunno, but the yeasts are certainly not the same.

Well that's worrying as CML advertise them as having similar characteristics to MJ yeasts. [emoji23]

Last edited:
..they do have "similar characteristics"...they are dry yeast,they ferment wort into beer in a certain style...if they had "exact characteristics" they could be classed as rebranded. Just as the supermarkets say a chicken is an Asda chicken or a Tesco chicken...they're not really just the packet is...

..they do have "similar characteristics"...they are dry yeast,they ferment wort into beer in a certain style...if they had "exact characteristics" they could be classed as rebranded. Just as the supermarkets say a chicken is an Asda chicken or a Tesco chicken...they're not really just the packet is...
"flocculation characteristics of CML and MJ are a universe apart."

"I'd be quite surprised if they were MJ yeasts, as I was getting an odd flavour that I didn't like from both the CML real ale and us pale yeasts, which I solved by moving to MJ ones."

Similar, but vastly different? Give off odd flavours? Not to worry, their sales info is apparently a lie.

Doesn't really inspire confidence. [emoji23]

Last edited:
The current MJ yeasts have very little in common with CML yeasts, other than been yeast that are dry.

Personally, I prefer to select my own yeast, I don't know if other brewers are the same though. I'm currently trying out as many different dried yeasts as possible to get a picture of what works well and what doesn't.

Back