Looking for small batch AG kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenneth Harvey

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any small All Grain kits? I tried getting into the hobby a few years back then life got away with me. I am once again trying to get into it, but I am not a huge drinker. I drink maybe 2 times a week. So 2-4 drinks per week at most. So if I go with the large 40+ bottle kits, I will be drinking a lot of the same for, well, 10 weeks.

I am thinking of trying to find some 20 bottle, AG kits like they have over in the US, then I can brew more often with a wider range of flavours, but I have no idea what to look for or where to look. I'd rather stay away from Northern Brewer kits, I tried doing 2 a few years ago and they just tasted off. I don't know whether I was doing something wrong or whether it was the age of the grain having come from the US.

Does anyone feel like imparting some of their wisdom upon this newbie and hand a few tips over?

Thanks

Try using Brewfather ( free without subscription ) and make your own recipes scaled to whatever size you like to suit your equipment/system.
Works out cheaper and more choice, you'll learn a lot about the whole brewing process too.

As mentioned above, one option is to make your own using a brewing app. I do this as I like small batches and don't drink lots. Only downside compared to kits is that you can end up with lots of odds and sods after a few different brews - tho the positive is that you can make interesting brews using these up. I recently did a CML AG kit. I went for a 15l kit as my efficiency is lower that that used to make the recipe, so I ended up with about 13-14l of beer. Kits are great as you get everything you need and have no waste. 🍻🍻

You could buy some full size kits and break them done to several smaller size batches which would probably be cheaper than buying a bunch of small size kits.

I would buy separate ingredients.
5 to 10kg Base malt, 500g crystal, 500g Choc malt etc.
A few different hops x 100g. Acc to your beer tastes.
A few different yeast packs.
Hops in freezer, yeast in Fridge. Grain dry and airtight.
Find 5 gallon recipes and divide them by 5. Or simply make SMaSH beers, Single malt and Single hop.
Add a bit of crystal or choc.
Use 2 hops.
You'll learn, and simple recipes are safe and good.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have a lot of space for storing grains so I can't really bulk buy

I've looked at them and I think I want to go with these guys:

I beepbooped in a newkie recipe (one of my favourite session brews.) and it works out no more expensive than buying kits, possibly cheaper.

Thanks fellas and fellettes

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have a lot of space for storing grains so I can't really bulk buy

I've looked at them and I think I want to go with these guys:

I beepbooped in a newkie recipe (one of my favourite session brews.) and it works out no more expensive than buying kits, possibly cheaper.

Thanks fellas and fellettes
Between £5.95 and £14.95 shipping with those just to keep in mind.

Can anyone recommend any small All Grain kits? I tried getting into the hobby a few years back then life got away with me. I am once again trying to get into it, but I am not a huge drinker. I drink maybe 2 times a week. So 2-4 drinks per week at most. So if I go with the large 40+ bottle kits, I will be drinking a lot of the same for, well, 10 weeks.

I am thinking of trying to find some 20 bottle, AG kits like they have over in the US, then I can brew more often with a wider range of flavours, but I have no idea what to look for or where to look. I'd rather stay away from Northern Brewer kits, I tried doing 2 a few years ago and they just tasted off. I don't know whether I was doing something wrong or whether it was the age of the grain having come from the US.

Does anyone feel like imparting some of their wisdom upon this newbie and hand a few tips over?

Thanks
This is an Australian site for 5 litre batches. There are some good recipes, I think, and some other sections on how to brew small batches.
https://smallbatchbrew.com.au/small-batch-home-brew-recipes/

Latest posts

Back