Quantcast

Looking for some advice

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Lee111

Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie here looking for advice. I have done 7 batches of beer, all from extract kits. Up until now I haven’t had any issue. They are all straight forward.

So last night I started brewing “ festival german weiss kit “ Well this morning I woke up to a hissing sound. I had a look and my airlock has got blocked by krausen. The lid of the FV was like a dome 🤣 anyway I managed to get it cleaned up and I attached a blowoff pipe. Will the beer be ok ? Or do you think I should dump it ?

Thanks

Lee

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
With that high an activity I would doubt any nasties would get into the FV, as long as you sanitised the blowoff and around the hole for the airlock as you fitted it I would say let it do it's thing. If it tastes awful after fermentation that would be when I would bin it, hopefully you should still have a good brew

Lee111

Reaction score
With that high an activity I would doubt any nasties would get into the FV, as long as you sanitised the blowoff and around the hole for the airlock as you fitted it I would say let it do it's thing. If it tastes awful after fermentation that would be when I would bin it, hopefully you should still have a good brew
Thank you for the feedback.

Yes it was all sanitised before I put the pipe in. Will just keep the fingers crossed 🤞

Lee

dad_of_jon

Beer designer
Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie here looking for advice. I have done 7 batches of beer, all from extract kits. Up until now I haven’t had any issue. They are all straight forward.

So last night I started brewing “ festival german weiss kit “ Well this morning I woke up to a hissing sound. I had a look and my airlock has got blocked by krausen. The lid of the FV was like a dome 🤣 anyway I managed to get it cleaned up and I attached a blowoff pipe. Will the beer be ok ? Or do you think I should dump it ?

Thanks

Lee
That happens with certain beers, a blow off tube is useful for vigorous fermentations with a large krausen (foam head)

Last edited:

starseeker

Reaction score
My Festival Weiss kit did very much the same ,the beer was lovely ,so you should have no worries :)

Lee111

Reaction score
My Festival Weiss kit did very much the same ,the beer was lovely ,so you should have no worries :)
It seems to have settled down now. Still bubbling away like mad but not more krausen coming out of it. Can I ask... how long did you leave yours in the FV for ?

dad_of_jon

Beer designer
Reaction score
2 weeks in the fv - for all my beers under 7% and general 3 weeks for those over 7%