Looking for that WOW factor - am I falling out of love with beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am sitting here looking at two glasses, one of them is commercial beer ie Any wychwood beer and the second is one of my own but extract beers that I made (victorian bitter bought from our sponsor - hint hint Brew2Bottle).

As I sit here tasting the commercial beer which I used to love btw, and it just doesn't do it for me any more. It's lost that zeal, that guile that I first had for it and any of its similar cousins. And the same goes for the extract brews too. Very few of them I sit there, brew and drink and think omfg that's just WOW!

So I think it's time I get a divorce and perhaps go all grain in the new year. But what I ask is when I do this, am I gonna get that WOW factor back from all grain brewing or am I just gonna need to be a cheating bytch and rekindle my love of bourbon again?? xD Is it time to start all graining? 3-2-1 GO!

I have a couple of beers on the go at the moment...my latest AIPA and #3 Tribute clone...I like to jump up and down clapping before I drink them! In fact I might make myself some stersificates or summit like they all got in The Wizard of Oz.

Yes, I think it will. When I was first brewing I started on extract, but they all missed a certain something. The moment I tasted the malty wort from my first all grain beer I knew this was it.

Then go and try a bunch of craft beers. American Pale, IPA, some kind of crazy stout. That'll get your tastebuds thirsting.

Think it's high time to consult that 1970's AG recipe book i was given earlier this year ;) Would be to have a crack at making beers my dad was drinking from that era ;D

I am sitting here looking at two glasses, one of them is commercial beer ie Any wychwood beer and the second is one of my own but extract beers that I made (victorian bitter bought from our sponsor - hint hint Brew2Bottle).

As I sit here tasting the commercial beer which I used to love btw, and it just doesn't do it for me any more. It's lost that zeal, that guile that I first had for it and any of its similar cousins. And the same goes for the extract brews too. Very few of them I sit there, brew and drink and think omfg that's just WOW!

So I think it's time I get a divorce and perhaps go all grain in the new year. But what I ask is when I do this, am I gonna get that WOW factor back from all grain brewing or am I just gonna need to be a cheating bytch and rekindle my love of bourbon again?? xD Is it time to start all graining? 3-2-1 GO!

You haven't developed hop tolerance from drinking too many lovely hoppy brews have you?

I think hops are like heroin and you have to keep increasing the dosage to keep getting that wow factor.

But yeah, go AG. It is awesome and you will make awesome beers.

Err nope, I tend to stick to stouts, porters and traditional bitters. I am not an IPA or citra hops person either. Not my bag and if I want a fruity lolcoholick dwink then I tend to brew mead ;d

Ag best thing i ever did so much to do and think about it but the end result is worth all the pain, and i still do a kit or 2 when stocks are low, i've even bought a 21L stockpot for small stove tops in bottles and any good ones can be up scaled so yeah go for it athumb..

When I did a look back over 2019 I realised that most of my beers had been kinda meh, 1 got dumped, 1 had very stressed yeast and only 1 brew was actually "brew again" good. So I changed things up in 2020, went for more traditional styles and used less kveik and it's been a much better year brewing wise.

AG should certainly improve things, but then I did 3 kits then went AG so I don't really have experience with extract.

Ag best thing i ever did so much to do and think about it but the end result is worth all the pain, and i still do a kit or 2 when stocks are low, i've even bought a 21L stockpot for small stove tops in bottles and any good ones can be up scaled so yeah go for it athumb..
says the person planning to blow up Sellafield with his next batch + 1 megatonne of gervin yeast ;d just ribbin yer fella hehe

You know I rarely get a beer that truly makes me go wow, it has to be the right beer, the right venue and the right time. For example a few years back I was in Seville it was noon, about 40 degrees, and I had being walking in the hot sun for a few hours. The cafe was air conditioned and the beer was a random generic larger, it was mana from heaven, sitting their drinking my beer and just watching the world go by.

Likewise a pint of beer in Saint David’s in Wales, I cannot remember the name of the beer but it had a lovely floral taste, or 12% Barley Wine I had in a pub in Oxford. Don't get me wrong I have plenty of nice beers but I think sometimes you have to accept that it’s always going to be few and far between that you get something that you get something truly makes you go wow.

I also would say @terrym has a point about taking a break, although even if not from beer maybe try other styles, order from a few breweries at random.

You know I rarely get a beer that truly makes me go wow, it has to be the right beer, the right venue and the right time. For example a few years back I was in Seville it was noon, about 40 degrees, and I had being walking in the hot sun for a few hours. The cafe was air conditioned and the beer was a random generic larger, it was mana from heaven, sitting their drinking my beer and just watching the world go by.
That reminded me of the bar scene in 'Ice Cold In Alex'.

At risk of being unpopular on here ashock1, if you have fallen out with beer, why not take a holiday? Go find some wines you like. Try them for a few months then come back to beer drinking with your palate renewed and refreshed.

I don't mind wine, but it's not as palatable as beer and I'd guess it would make me sick given my age if I were to substitute it for beer. Same with bourbon tbh, and oddly enough I am getting that with coffee too. I used to be able to drink a gallon of coffee a day. Now my brain and body say que? wt... no bueno ;s

Latest posts

Back