Looking for the best budget red and white wine kits pleasr

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootcutboy

Reaction score
Hi all. I have been looking through the wine review section and there are some great reviews but they all seem to be for the more expensive kits, over £50.

I am out of work at the mo so times are a bit tight. The only wine kits I’ve made so far are the MYO white and red kits from The Range, theyWere both ok, drinkable but only ok. The white was £15 and the red was £20, more my price range at the mo, although I am more than aware you get what you pay for!

To drink I like a Sauvignon Blanc for a white or a Cabernet Sauvignon or Rioja for a red. Can anyone recommend any white or red 30 bottle kits around £30 or under that have turned out really nice and that are similar to the types of wine I’ve just mentioned I like??

Thanks in advance lovely wine peeps if anyone can offer any advice!

Hi. There is a definite correlation between price and quality so don't go too inexpensive, but you probably know that.
At about £40 Beaverdale do a good 30 bottle kit. I've never had issues with them. I find that any cheaper the body an complexity suffer. Have fun brewing.....
Still drinkable though!
T

The Range, theyWere both ok, drinkable but only ok. The white was £15 and the red was £20,

We make the MYO Rose regularly, we used to make the Red but now prefer the rose.

We used to make the WinBuddy Sav Blanc kit but Tesco stopped selling home brew stuff online so we moved to the Range MYO, read my review -
WineBuddy Sauvignon Blanc - 30 bottle Kit | The Homebrew Forum - Homebrewing Forums

Have you seen this thread -
Wine and Cider Kit Reviews A - Z | The Homebrew Forum - Homebrewing Forums

For a cheap Red try the Magnum Red at around £18. Have made this ( using 4 kgs sugar ) & compared to another supplier online own kit red kit ( nearly double the price ) .... virtually no difference !
Our ( Supermarket ) Merlot drinking friends said the same as well when they compared the 2 !
For a White have made both Magnum Pinot Grigio & Medium Dry White using 3 kgs sugar as recommended on here ! A nice dry White in both cases !
For a really dry White kit ( BUT Dried Fruit so more hassle ! ) try the Wineworks Vino Dried Fruit kits fom Lovebrewing @ around £16.50 ( plus 3.5kgs sugar needed ) . The Australian White & White Sauvignon were really nice VERY Dry kits !
Good Luck !!

Never come across a dry wine kit before. Are they any good? The reason I ask, is they seem to be playing the export card very heavily

They can be a bit more hassle , but use a Muslin bag ( about £ 1.50 ) to contain Dried Fruit ingredients at start of brewing , helps a lot .
The Lovebrewing White kits produced really lovely Very Dry Whites (. Husband & I like Sauvignon Blanc )
The Magnum Red is from a tin ... straightforward !
Whatever you choose .. Happy Winemaking !

Last edited:
Just to shove my oar in.
I find white and rose kits at just about any price point can be excellent.
Reds though are a different matter.

I recently did the Winexpert Classic Chilean Malbec.
Followed instructions exactly, you have to rack twice and add various fining agents at different stages.
It's certainly clear, but lacks body and complexity.
Worked out about £2 per bottle but my wife and I agree that I won't be doing it again, it doesn't fare well against our 'house tipple' the Barefoot Malbec at £6 per bottle.

I quite liked the Wilko 30 bottle Medium Dry White wine kit. That was £20 when I bought it which I thought was a good price.

I had success with a Solomon Grundy Chardonnay Gold kit it was pretty popular and at the moment is around 20 quid - I know they do other varieties too.

Back