Loose Grainfather G40 hop filter plate?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello there...

My G40 has finally arrived, and a gorgeous thing it is too. One thing concerns me though. The quick start guide says the hop filter 'should be a tight fit and you'll need to appply some pressure to make sure that it is correctly in place'. Mine isn't tight at all, and it drops into place with the gentlest of touches.

If you have a G40, how tight (or otherwise) is your hop filter? Does it lift and allow hops to block the drain hole/pump?

(I haven't done my 1st brew in it yet, just run cleaner through it).

Many thanks

Cheers

mine fits quite tightly....need to push it into place....no experience of it lifting during the boil

Mine was loose - I put some crimps in the edge of the bottom bit with some heavy duty wire cutters, since when it has been fine.

Attachments

• G40-base-1.jpg
    G40-base-1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 757
  • G40-base-2.jpg
    G40-base-2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 790
Hello there...

My G40 has finally arrived, and a gorgeous thing it is too. One thing concerns me though. The quick start guide says the hop filter 'should be a tight fit and you'll need to appply some pressure to make sure that it is correctly in place'. Mine isn't tight at all, and it drops into place with the gentlest of touches.

If you have a G40, how tight (or otherwise) is your hop filter? Does it lift and allow hops to block the drain hole/pump?

(I haven't done my 1st brew in it yet, just run cleaner through it).

Many thanks

Cheers
What about some silicone channel, they come in different sizes it would probably not work all the way around but 3 or 4 pieces spaced out should.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...1a1aee94e6499e3fc8c079ac4ff&afSmartRedirect=y

Hello there...

Did you purchase that from The Malt Miller? If you did can you please contact us. Whilst the home brewers hacks maybe needed on a cheaper, copy product, it shouldn't be on a G40.

Did you purchase that from The Malt Miller? If you did can you please contact us. Whilst the home brewers hacks maybe needed on a cheaper, copy product, it shouldn't be on a G40.
Hiya...
Thanks for asking, yes I did. I have been in touch with MM and Bevie, sent measurements, pics etc but no resolution as yet. It is just that I am champing at the bit to get my 1st G40 brew on, but I don't want to risk blocking the pump!
I have checked again today, and the hop plate just drops in, and the tiniest pressure from my little finger is enough to push it home the last 1mm or so.

Cheers

I am the author of the "home brewer's hack" and I bought my G40 from the Malt Miller. There have been so many comments on FB about loose bottom plates that I didn't think of sending mine back - I just fixed it.

Mine is the same, looser than I'd like it to be and it did come loose in one brew, I think the back pressure when I pulled up the malt pipe made it pop out as I'm sure it happened before I started stirring for a whirlpool. Also, it seems to have developed a slight dish shape, the edges sit slightly above the bottom of the vessel.
Other than that it is a quality piece of kit!

After transferring 23L of sludge from the G40 into the fermenter because the plate had shifted, I have contacted MM to see what we can do. Otherwise the G40 is very good.

Back