Loose lees on top of firm layer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 44889

Regular.
Reaction score
Hiya guys,
Need some advice please,
Have made a country wine and it's fermented out to 0.996 so all good but it's got 2 layers of Lees, 1 firm at the bottom and 1 very loose above. I've not stabilised or fined it yet but is there any way to firm up the top layer before racking or im going to lose a lot of good wine.
Thanks for any help
Pic attached
20220626_150929.jpg

I use an “Inching Filter” on the end of my syphon when racking anything.

My theory is “If it goes through the filter it will be okay.” i.e. It will either fall out during clearing (for wine) or conditioning (for beer).

Here’s a link to Amazon for what they look like - but they took ages to arrive!

https://amzn.eu/d/1hOl7sD
Enjoy!
:hat:

I use an “Inching Filter” on the end of my syphon when racking anything.

My theory is “If it goes through the filter it will be okay.” i.e. It will either fall out during clearing (for wine) or conditioning (for beer).

Here’s a link to Amazon for what they look like - but they took ages to arrive!

https://amzn.eu/d/1hOl7sD
Enjoy!
:hat:
Thanks Dutto,
Have placed on order but not impressed with their ratings, 53% positive but for £3.84 its worth taking the chance... long wait though.. 21st to 27th July or £25 for Express delivery..😯😯. yeah right lol.
What size fits the normal syphon tube??
Any idea why i would get 2 layers??, this flaggon i did add 1 ltr Apple Juice the other 2 , 1 x DJ and 1 Flaggon only have the set layer so i suppose it must be to do with the AJ.

No idea “why” - sorry.

One thing I missed out is the “Wait and see.” advice; especially with a cold crash if possible. That may solve everything!
athumb..
Thanks again,
Will sneak it into kitchen fridge. After that will put out in Shed and wait. How long is safe on the lees
Was also thinking of adding Bentonite what do you think?

I’m not the person to ask a “how long” question; I’m still eating salted carrots that I stuck in the fridge nearly six weeks ago, after fermenting for a week!

As you will probably Stabilise and then Clear it I would give it at least another couple of weeks to see if there are any signs of settling out.

BTW, if you feed in to Amazon:

“Brew Siphon and Flter Cloth Home Brew Beer Syphon Filter Set Wine Making Tool Kit Siphon Pump Siphon Pipe 2m Syphon Tube and Cheese Cloths”

You can get a syphon/filter in a couple of days.

Hope that this is helpful.
athumb..

I’m not the person to ask a “how long” question; I’m still eating salted carrots that I stuck in the fridge nearly six weeks ago, after fermenting for a week!

As you will probably Stabilise and then Clear it I would give it at least another couple of weeks to see if there are any signs of settling out.

BTW, if you feed in to Amazon:

“Brew Siphon and Flter Cloth Home Brew Beer Syphon Filter Set Wine Making Tool Kit Siphon Pump Siphon Pipe 2m Syphon Tube and Cheese Cloths”

You can get a syphon/filter in a couple of days.

Hope that this is helpful.
athumb..
Hiya Dutto,
Looked at the Amazon link and looks good but have already ordered the other bits, i know they won't come for 3 to 4 weeks but I'm a patient person, i can wait 18 months plus for a wine to mature lol.
Enjoy your carrots 🥕🥕🥕🥕🥕
Thanks again for all your help, will let you know at the end of July how it goes😎

Latest posts

Back