Loss of temp control post fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeB.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a beer fermenting now for three weeks, whilst I was away on holiday.

It’s been sitting steady at 18 degrees until about 4 days ago, at this point Temp control was lost control resulting in it coming up to ambient temperature.

I’m guessing it’s been mid 20’s as it has been quite warm.

Will I notice any difference/ is there anything to look out for on the final brew once it’s conditioned in the keg?

Hey Mike,
If it’s been three weeks it should have happily fermented out. I would be very surprised if you had any off-flavours from having it warm up post-fermentation. RDWHAHB!

I’ve had a beer fermenting now for three weeks, whilst I was away on holiday.

It’s been sitting steady at 18 degrees until about 4 days ago, at this point Temp control was lost control resulting in it coming up to ambient temperature.

I’m guessing it’s been mid 20’s as it has been quite warm.

Will I notice any difference/ is there anything to look out for on the final brew once it’s conditioned in the keg?
What beer (style) is it?

Hi Mike

I am not as confident as Session that you may not have a problem

It may have been fermenting for 3 weeks, but there will still be live yeast in there that may have carried on producing banana- ish fruity flavours that might be Ok in a dark ale but might not be in a clean golden ale.

Also, mid 20's temps are most likely to attract an infection

So 🤞for tomorrow

I had a similar occurrence years ago, with a similar style cask ale, started temp @18c and slowly raised to 24c, then dropped back to 18c, unfortunately my cooler aka fridge failed and we had a heatwave, think it went up to about 28c
Anyway eventually I cooled it and racked it off, it was still drinkable but seemed to have a bit of a stale taste
My solution was to down a pint in one go, meaning next brew day came quickly
Good luck and please let us know how it goes

Luckily turned out ok, no off flavours or visible sign/ taste of infection. More than pleasant enough to drink.

Attachments

• 4FBBBB4D-FA15-468B-9D04-D567BA8F3E12.jpeg
    4FBBBB4D-FA15-468B-9D04-D567BA8F3E12.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back