Lost Breweries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Reaction score
On Facebook I'm part of a group called lost non league football grounds of which I've been on loads. So I thought what about remembering lost breweries. I live in Warrington who have lost 2 breweries in recent years in Tetleys and Greenall Whitley but their ales were not good. In the 80's we lived in Bishops Stortford and the pubs sold Rayments Ale from there brewery in Furneaux Pelham and it was good I remember. The were owned by GK but had there own range of beers.
image.jpeg
they shut in 1987.

Vaux was a major brewery based in the North East of England and were Sunderland A.F.C. main sponsors when I first got into football. They closed down in 97/98 ish. I was too young to try any of their beers.

Some of the brewers/management set up Maxim brewery and have the rights to a few of the recipes, and about a year ago a craft brewery popped up using the Vaux name.

The list of lost breweries in the The last 40 years is a long one, ask any knowledgeable CAMRA member. A few recently have been sold to Japanese companies because they reckon they can’t make any money from brewing

Loads I miss, S&N and as @MickDundee says Vaux, Butterknowle, Federation. But to be honest. There have never been more breweries and good beers available as there are now. I just hope they survive Covid,,, I still like the old beer bottles I dug out from where the Blaydon races were run. Sadly Brewmania stuff is too expensive now and probably copies!

On Facebook I'm part of a group called lost non league football grounds of which I've been on loads. So I thought what about remembering lost breweries. I live in Warrington who have lost 2 breweries in recent years in Tetleys and Greenall Whitley but their ales were not good. In the 80's we lived in Bishops Stortford and the pubs sold Rayments Ale from there brewery in Furneaux Pelham and it was good I remember. The were owned by GK but had there own range of beers.View attachment 26343 they shut in 1987.

I remember Rayment's. I live in a GK area and is was available in a few pubs, decent session beer and my late Dad's favorite. We miss Ridley's around here although their yeast lives on in other beers. Ind coope was one of the original big 6 brewery's but they did sell the superb Ind coope draught Burton, miss the beer more than the brewery.

A few brewery names I can remember that have closed, Whitbread inc Flowers and Tennants of Sheffield, Trumans, Watneys inc Wilsons (Manchester), Hardy and Hansons, Shipstones, (both Notts), Tolly Cobbold (Ipswich), King and Barnes (Horsham), Offilers (Derby), Davenports (Brum), Joules (Stone), Higsons (L'pool?), Federation (Carlisle?), Eldridge Pope (Dorchester?), Wards (Sheffield), Matthew Brown (Blackburn?), Holes (Newark), Highgate (Walsall), Burtonwood (Cheshire)
And names that have been absorbed into bigger groups Ind Coope and Allsopp, Bass, Charringtons, M&B, Ansells, Stones, Worthington.

Morland was the local brewery in my area growing up you would see their
notable plaque on all the pubs in the area. As happened to a lot of breweries they got bought out by Greene King who promptly closed the brewery and transferred production to Bury St Edmonds given I was ten at the time I‘m not really in the position to comment on the quality of the beer so It’s more the nostalgia of the sign.

63F58C5F-549C-47F7-A245-505F227A23BC.jpeg

In my younger years my company used to do a lot of work for Bass, Mitchell's and Butler's (or whoever guise they were in at the time) in Cape Hill, Birmingham.

I'm sure they dropped that building years ago and built houses on the site.

My local (home town) Brewery W M Darley of Thorne. Taken over by Vaux then short time later closed. We have been left with the listed building (The Tower) and nothing else apart from etched windows in some Pubs that were in their empire

No doubt Marstons will be on that list shortly, following yesterday's announcement. That said they have only recently opened a new brewery /visitor centre.

Started drinking in the mid 90s, so breweries in scotland were increasing in number. Now there are many good ones thankfully. I do miss Maclays though, their heavy at least was an excellent beer iirc. I also miss pre-2000-ish Deuchars IPA, while it is still around now it's nowhere near as good as it once was

Ushers of Trowbridge was my local brewery whenI was growing up. I used to hate the smell. And the smell from Bowyers pie and sausage factory. You seemed to gett different smells on different days of the week.

Ushets became part of Watney Mann Trumans, then Grand Met. When it all went wrong there was a management buyout. Then the brewery closed Ushers Best was contract brewed (I think by Wychwood) and used to appear on trains om the Paddington - Penzance line.

Curiously, the brewing equipment was sild via a German broker to North Korea and now brews the Dear Leader's faviurite beer.

A few brewery names I can remember that have closed, Whitbread inc Flowers and Tennants of Sheffield, Trumans, Watneys inc Wilsons (Manchester), Hardy and Hansons, Shipstones, (both Notts), Tolly Cobbold (Ipswich), King and Barnes (Horsham), Offilers (Derby), Davenports (Brum), Joules (Stone), Higsons (L'pool?), Federation (Carlisle?), Eldridge Pope (Dorchester?), Wards (Sheffield), Matthew Brown (Blackburn?), Holes (Newark), Highgate (Walsall), Burtonwood (Cheshire)
And names that have been absorbed into bigger groups Ind Coope and Allsopp, Bass, Charringtons, M&B, Ansells, Stones, Worthington.
Federation was Gateshead.

Vaux was a major brewery based in the North East of England and were Sunderland A.F.C. main sponsors when I first got into football. They closed down in 97/98 ish. I was too young to try any of their beers.

Some of the brewers/management set up Maxim brewery and have the rights to a few of the recipes, and about a year ago a craft brewery popped up using the Vaux name.

Used to love bottles of Double Maxim when I went to uni in Sheffield. Vaux owned Wards so had a lot of the pubs in the area.

Used to love bottles of Double Maxim when I went to uni in Sheffield. Vaux owned Wards so had a lot of the pubs in the area.
DM is one of the beers that went to Maxim Brewery (hence the name). I’ve never actually had it.

Not strictly a brewery as such, but I've just remembered the Firkin pubs. Most, if not all, had their own breweries on site. Dog Bolter is the beer I can remember but I'm sure they did a few others.

Back