Lots of rhubarb!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I’ve just bought 10kg of frozen rhubarb so I thought I’d go a bit mad (what’s new?)

I’ve made a 5 gallon mead and a 5 gallon wine. 5kg of rhubarb in each one. Didn’t want a strong flavour so we’ll see if that’s enough. 🙈😁

The mead is the first pic.

A58F7607-2A79-4BD6-910F-32960510B96E.jpeg

410A506A-7DAB-4355-B5C5-5F700634ED6A.jpeg

Think I need help! 😂

Last edited:
This is something we're considering - waiting 2 years to harvest is a bit annoying though. We actually have allotment patches over our back fence but to be fair the garden is big enough to plant lots of stuff. Don't want the dog to trample it though cos he charges everywhere (even though he's nearly 13 he's not going anywhere yet lol)

I am going to make rhubarb wine this year, I have 5 plants starting to shoot up nicely. Got replanted last year after our move so didnt get much from them so hopefully lots of fruit this year.

Remember me saying i had moved home on another thread.?

Well there is rhubarb growing in my new garden,Also in my new neighbours garden and he has already offered me as much of it as i want free.
I would of course give him a couple of bottles for it.

B.T.W. Its not an overpowering flavour when fermented so i think your rhubarb mead will be just fine.

This is something we're considering - waiting 2 years to harvest is a bit annoying though. We actually have allotment patches over our back fence but to be fair the garden is big enough to plant lots of stuff. Don't want the dog to trample it though cos he charges everywhere (even though he's nearly 13 he's not going anywhere yet lol)
Definitely start now. I have gradually built up my stock of rhubarb plants in the garden. Each season when they go dormant, you can dig them up and divide them to get extra plants for free. It goes into crumbles, jam and gin.

Ive made rhubarb wine before its very nice even though i am not keen on eating rhubarb.
Rhubarb gin however is a new one on me.???
Is it made the same way as sloe gin.?????

Ive made rhubarb wine before its very nice even though i am not keen on eating rhubarb.
Rhubarb gin however is a new one on me.???
Is it made the same way as sloe gin.?????
Yes exactly like sloe gin. I don't drink gin but the missus loves it. Her favourite this year was Chilean guava gin from berries harvested from the garden.

Hi Lisa
Check out the "Rhubarb triangle." It is said you can hear the rhubarb grow.

Unfortunately from what I understand about rhubarb its a bit of a long term project and should not be harvested in the first year after planting.

I had my rhubarb dug up and stolen a few years ago,The thieves left behind the tools,But took the rhubarb.

At school in the 60s we were fed rhubarb crumble for desert and i hated it.
However it does make the most delicious wine (white wine.)

Hi Lisa
Check out the "Rhubarb triangle." It is said you can hear the rhubarb grow.

Unfortunately from what I understand about rhubarb its a bit of a long term project and should not be harvested in the first year after planting.

I had my rhubarb dug up and stolen a few years ago,The thieves left behind the tools,But took the rhubarb.

At school in the 60s we were fed rhubarb crumble for desert and i hated it.
However it does make the most delicious wine (white wine.)
Seen that on countryfile. They're grown in huge darkened barns and harvested by candle light.

As for hating rhubarb crumble, how dare you, it's beautiful 😃 Certainly better than the rice pudding we used to get at school

Back