Lots of rhubarb!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep lol, there is a photo on post #1. 5 gal of wine and 5 gal of mead. Hopefully they'll both be nice! Having a brewing break next month (I may do more kilju!) as I have my eldest's birthday to pay for. 26 already, good god! :oops: So I thought I'd get in front :laugh8:

Both rhubarbs are just about ready to be sweetened and go into secondary now. Gonna be a big job. Not looking forward to it! 🙈

Just sterilising my DJ’s!

1502FB67-7FB4-499C-A0A6-74668BCA67C8.jpeg

58D13A1E-2451-492E-95EA-305FC3BB767F.jpeg

The rhubarb wine I made was probably the nicest wine I have made.

I have one plant in my garden, so can't produce on the same scale as you, but I have been advised that you can dig it up one winter, split the root into 2 or 4 pieces, replant, giving multiple plants.

I heard a few people say this. Not sure how quick it would spread if you just left it though? What do you think? We are considering planting some but because I'm not very good at gardening I don't know where to start. :confused.:

I bought a root about 15 years ago and just planted it in the soil and left it. It took a couple of years to be worth harvesting, but has come back every year without fail.

Thats what I have heard:> It should be left alone for the first year.

Question is though,What would be the best variety for our purposes if purchasing a root.????

I don't know for certain but i would imagine it to be like apples,Dozens of different variety's.

Not sure what sort would be best but I have seen a lovely strawberry variety that I’d like to buy. The rhubarb stuff I’ve made from the frozen stuff I bought is a grim green colour and not very appealing looking.

Hi lisa you say you are having a break.!!!!
Hmmmm..... Thats where I have gone wrong in the past.
Its an awfy feeling opening that "Last of the summer wine" bottle
And having to put on your coat and go down to the off-license :coat:

Hi lisa you say you are having a break.!!!!
Hmmmm..... Thats where I have gone wrong in the past.
Its an awfy feeling opening that "Last of the summer wine" bottle
And having to put on your coat and go down to the off-license :coat:

I think I’m ok there John, I’ve enough to last me until doomsday here! 😂

It’s an addictive hobby, so maybe I won’t take a break for that long! 😬😬😬

Got rhubarb that's been in the same places for 55 years. One lot is ready a bit sooner than the other. I just throw a few buckets of compost over it each back end. Never had much success with rhubarb wine though.

I don't know what has gone wrong with rhubarb this year my father in law is selling all of his (he has loads of it on his allotment) to the local fruit and veg shop as they said they are struggling to get it.

Interesting!

I have searched google and cannot find anything about a shortage maybe he mentioned it in the shop and the shop are getting it dirt cheap off him, it went to waste so at least he is getting something for it.

Latest posts

Back