Low ABV reading

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col222

Reaction score
I brewed my first stout and the wort refractometer reading was brix 8 and after 5 days in all bubbling has stopped, i decided to take another reading and it came back brix 4 , the online calculator reads 3.596 ABV Original Gravity 1.032 , the recipe says pre boil 1.038 / OG 1.045 ABV 4.3% . Do you think this has finished fermentation ? I think it might have fermented fast because of the hot weather I had been try to keep it cool with water and ice but i bet its been 20c to 22c , not sure why it has a low ABV i must have done something wrong . Tasted it and it was nice i can see it improving with time and when bottled but wonder if its worth it now with the low ABV .

You can't use a refractometer when alcohol is present. It will read high. Try again with a hydrometer.

I brewed my first stout and the wort refractometer reading was brix 8 and after 5 days in all bubbling has stopped, i decided to take another reading and it came back brix 4 , the online calculator reads 3.596 ABV Original Gravity 1.032 , the recipe says pre boil 1.038 / OG 1.045 ABV 4.3% . Do you think this has finished fermentation ? I think it might have fermented fast because of the hot weather I had been try to keep it cool with water and ice but i bet its been 20c to 22c , not sure why it has a low ABV i must have done something wrong . Tasted it and it was nice i can see it improving with time and when bottled but wonder if its worth it now with the low ABV .
No I don't think it has finished fermenting - what yeast did you use?

You can't use a refractometer when alcohol is present. It will read high. Try again with a hydrometer.
I wanted to avoid the hydrometer i don't do large brews mostly 1 gallon sometimes 2 gallon and i would hate to waste that much beer , I was told you can use an online calculator that will work it out for you, i must admit tried two different sites with slightly different results .

I used Lallemand nottingham ale yeast , It has been bubble for the last 4 days non stop but all to day know bubbles and all the foam on top has gone .
The most active fermentation is in the first few days - just leave it a few more days or maybe a week (I know this heat confuses matters) - I have a brew that has been stuck for a week - it's now started fermenting again

Nottingham Ale yeast is fine at the ambient temps you have described. You need to let the yeast "clean up" some of the substances it will have created in it's fast fermentation

Just relax and chill in this hot weather

Are you adjusting the refractometer reading for the alcohol now in it?
You can use with alcohol present, but there are multiple formulas to convert to SG and they all give slightly different results. I use the one in Brewfather but only ever as an approximation. An 8 Brix 1.032 start and a 4 Brix finish suggests you are now at 1.005 and 3.63%abv in Brewfather.
Get a hydrometer and drink the sample

Are you adjusting the refractometer reading for the alcohol now in it?

You can use with alcohol present, but there are multiple formulas to convert to SG and they all give slightly different results. I use the one in Brewfather but only ever as an approximation. An 8 Brix 1.032 start and a 4 Brix finish suggests you are now at 1.005 and 3.63%abv in Brewfather.
Get a hydrometer and drink the sample
I know its not a perfect science i will stick with the refractometer readings for now, I am going to give it a few more days and do another reading , but doesn't 1.005 means its about done ?

I know a lot of people will disagree, but just pour the sample back in the fermenter after checking the sg with a hydrometer.
Also, a low ABV is no reason to dump the beer.

Back