Low Attenuation/Low ABV DIPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiaOraBrew

Reaction score
I've been brewing a DIPA. It's been in the PF for just over a week and the bubbling and krausen has dropped right back.

I've taken a refractometer gravity reading and it's currently at a OG of 1.078 and FG of 1.04 approx. What would cause such a low attenuation? It sits in a dimly lit room at around 20 degrees. Pitched two packs of US05 at the appropriate pitching temperature.

What can I do to help it along? Should I just wait another week?

Last edited:
At an SG of 1.040 the chances are that it is nowhere near fermented out!

With such a high OG I would give it more than my usual 2 weeks before I even looked at taking a second SG.

Leave it alone. If the SG gets down to 1.016 then the attenuation will be up to about 80% AND EVEN THEN IT MAY NOT BE FULLY FERMENTED OUT.

My advice is to leave it alone and take another SG on about the 20th of this month.

If there is ZERO activity in the airlock and the SG is at or below 1.012 then I would bottle it ...

... and if the SG was greater that 1.012 I would leave it alone for yet another week.

Enjoy!

I've taken a refractometer gravity reading and it's currently at a OG of 1.078 and FG of 1.04 approx.
Refractometer huh? Take a hydrometer reading. If you haven't corrected for alcohol I think you'll find it's around 1.018 to 1.019.

Latest posts

Back