Low attenuation with Lallemand New England

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just kegged a rye session IPA that I brewed using Lallemand New England yeast (the one that's been around for a few years, not the Verdant yeast), which I think is meant to have come from the Conan, Heady Topper strain. I've not used it before but the average attention is meant to be 75%. The beer I just kegged came in at 66% attenuation. I know the average attenuation is just that, an average, but this seems lower than I'd expect.

It was a 30L BIAB batch, mashed at 66.5°C for 1 hour before raising the temp to 80°C for a mash out and a dunk sparge. The grain bill was 5.2kg of Golden Promise and 800g of Crisp Rye malt. I pitched 2 packets of yeast.

It fermented for a full two weeks before I dropped the temperature down to 3°C and did a cool temp dry hop for another 5 days.

Has anyone else experienced low attenuation with this yeast. As it is usually used for Hazy IPAs I wonder if the average attenuation figures come from the fact that a lot of beers may experience hop creep, which dry hopping cold prevents.

GEB recommends the pitching rate at 1g/L so for a 30L batch it looks like you actually needed 3 packs.

The high pitch rate for this yeast is why I’ve never used it, Verdant has a much more “normal” pitch rate so use that instead of in using a dry NEIPA yeast.

Last edited:
Verdant has a much more “normal” pitch rate so use that instead of in using a dry NEIPA yeast.
I really like the Verdant yeast I've used it a few times but thought I'd give this one a go.

The beer didn't taste that hoppy coming out of the fermentor following a 150g dry hop. My main keg will have another 150g of ekuanot/wiema/Vic secret in so I'm hoping that makes a big difference.

Doubt I'll use it again though.

Just had a look at a stout I made, it said Vermont strain so used the lallemand east coast. 1.047 to 1.012 for 27 litres into fermenter, so 74.7% attenuation. Pitched at 18 and then rose to 22. Reached that gravity in 4 days, held it at 22 another 4 then let it fall to 14 for another 10 days then kegged.

Mashed 65.5for 75 and then mashout.
One packet of yeast from fridge, about 6 months out of date.

Latest posts

Back