Low OG. What's wrong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My coopers Mexican Cerveza has been on for about 10 days now, thought I’d take a reading for fun and it said 1.010. Is that an expected SG for a finished beer?

I mean I’ll do another reading in a few days or something I’m just asking in case it’s 1.010 then as well.

Normally I do wine and it goes a lot lower but I heard somewhere that beer ends higher?

Most of my beers (AG) finish 1.010 or higher, depends on a lot of variables but think this reading is pretty common.

As I understand it (but full disclosure, I have never made wine) the main (if not all) sugar in wine must is fructose which is almost 100% consumed by the yeast. Malted barley beer wort is a mixture of maltose and other sugars, some of which the yeast will consume, others it can't.

If you ended up with a low FG your finished beer could have a very thin mouth feel. Your FG should give you a beer that is more balanced and full bodied without being too sweet.

Don't panic!

Most of my beers (AG) finish 1.010 or higher, depends on a lot of variables but think this reading is pretty common.

As I understand it (but full disclosure, I have never made wine) the main (if not all) sugar in wine must is fructose which is almost 100% consumed by the yeast. Malted barley beer wort is a mixture of maltose and other sugars, some of which the yeast will consume, others it can't.

If you ended up with a low FG your finished beer could have a very thin mouth feel. Your FG should give you a beer that is more balanced and full bodied without being too sweet.

Don't panic!

Thanks man that’s very reassuring.

Back