Lower carbonation bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOsprey

Brewing Bad
Reaction score
A fortnight ago, my export Porter finished carbonating. I primed in the bottle, with just 3g of sugar in each bottle, as I didn't want my porter to be too carbonated. I bottle in PET 500ml, and after 14 days, they're still not hard. There's definitely pressure there but I can squeeze the bottle a significant amount.

I'm wondering if I underprimed, but I used 4g in my last batch, a SMaSH, and I definitely don't want this to be that carbonated.

I don't mind the taste with less fizz, but will the beer last less long in the bottles?

If I leave it another week to continue to carb up, will it? Or am I at maximum point now? I haven't really seen a significant change over the last few days.

A fortnight ago, my export Porter finished carbonating. I primed in the bottle, with just 3g of sugar in each bottle, as I didn't want my porter to be too carbonated. I bottle in PET 500ml, and after 14 days, they're still not hard. There's definitely pressure there but I can squeeze the bottle a significant amount.

I'm wondering if I underprimed, but I used 4g in my last batch, a SMaSH, and I definitely don't want this to be that carbonated.

I don't mind the taste with less fizz, but will the beer last less long in the bottles?

If I leave it another week to continue to carb up, will it? Or am I at maximum point now? I haven't really seen a significant change over the last few days.
Should be fine, I always prime my stouts lower than that (usually work on 5g/l) and they've been just the right level for me with no shelf life issues.

Not that they were around long enough to have shelf life issues anyway...

Back