Lowicz rasperry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derekmr

Reaction score
Hi
I’ve got some TC that is in second demi, almost if not stopped fermentation,
Can I add syrup at end of fermentation or am I missing something?
Thanks in advance
Derek

You can only add 5g-7g or equivalent in ml. to carbonate your tc. You should have added it at beginning to ferment out. Adding more will produce bottle bombs.

:smile6:Add the syrup to carb up then. Will do the flavour good too. Not sure I agree with Froggy though. A teaspoon of sugar per 500 ml bottle is generally used or batch prime. Some use more. Some less. Maybe Froggy is using the wrong bottles?

:smile6:Add the syrup to carb up then. Will do the flavour good too. Not sure I agree with Froggy though. A teaspoon of sugar per 500 ml bottle is generally used or batch prime. Some use more. Some less. Maybe Froggy is using the wrong bottles?
Using swing top bottle
How much you think I should add?

Do you mean syrup? I use 400ml bottle of Lowicz to batch prime a 25l batch. That scales down to around 73ml for a 4.5 l batch in standard dj if that is what you have. A few ml extra will not hurt. It sounds like you are using suitable bottles. Always handy to have at least one in a pet bottle as you can feel it carbing up. People vary in their approach but I find it best to store in warm for a couple of weeks to carb up then out in the cold for a couple of weeks. Chill down in fridge if not already well cold before opening. I also find that Roddy's recipes improve noticeably if given a couple of months in bottle. Carbonation seems to improve. Note, you will get a bit of sediment in bottle. Hope this helps

Do you mean syrup? I use 400ml bottle of Lowicz to batch prime a 25l batch. That scales down to around 73ml for a 4.5 l batch in standard dj if that is what you have. A few ml extra will not hurt. It sounds like you are using suitable bottles. Always handy to have at least one in a pet bottle as you can feel it carbing up. People vary in their approach but I find it best to store in warm for a couple of weeks to carb up then out in the cold for a couple of weeks. Chill down in fridge if not already well cold before opening. I also find that Roddy's recipes improve noticeably if given a couple of months in bottle. Carbonation seems to improve. Note, you will get a bit of sediment in bottle. Hope this helps
Thanks for that,
So I can add to dj then bottle a few days later and leave to carb/mature?

1 tsp sugar per 500ml bottle is same as 5g or thereabouts. Look on the label of lowitz to get your sugars per 100ml of liquid and work out how many ml you need to get equivalent of 5-7g.

Thanks for that,
So I can add to dj then bottle a few days later and leave to carb/mature?
Once you've added the syrup you need to bottle straight away, it will start fermenting once the syrup is added so you can't leave it a few days.

No, If using to carbonate your tc, batch prime then bottle immediately so that the fermentation may continue undisturbed within the bottle producing the CO2. Bottle when it gets down to around 1.000. It need not be clear. In fact some people report that the carbing up is not so good if left too long in the dj or fv. If it ferments out completely in the dj then you will have no yeasties to gobble up the syrup you are adding later. If not using the syrup you could add around a teaspoon of sugar to each 500ml swing top bottle and do it that way. Again, people vary in how much sugar they use.

Think it’s done fermentation
Can I restart with a little yeast or is it ok to add syrup and keep as st

I eventually managed to get to an Ikea to get their lingon berry and also some blueberry concentrate - no nasties in either although the blueberry was a pound more expensive. At 55g sugar for 500ml which seems low to me, wonder if you ever thought of a blueberry cider flavour to prime a 25ltr batch?

I eventually managed to get to an Ikea to get their lingon berry and also some blueberry concentrate - no nasties in either although the blueberry was a pound more expensive. At 55g sugar for 500ml which seems low to me, wonder if you ever thought of a blueberry cider flavour to prime a 25ltr batch?
Sounds nice, you must let us know how it goes:thumb:

Latest posts

Back