Lowicz Syrup Raspberry for Raspberry Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made a Raspberry Wheat beer last year and it was a hit but it's gone.....

I have been thinking about making some more but the price of 2.5kg of Raspberries is daunting, I know the Lowicz syrups are used lots of members in WOWs.

I can adjust the recipe wrt to the sugar in the syrup but I have no idea how much flavour a bottle of the syrup would provide.

Any idea how much syrup will produce an amount of flavour equivalent to 1kg of Raspberries?

Thanks. Aamcle

I've been looking at numbers fresh Raspberries are 44g of sugar per 1oog that's 440 per kg the recipe calls for 2.5 kg fruit that's 1100g sugar.

The syrup contains 86g per 100ml, 860 per litre so I could use about 1.5 litre of syrup.

Aamcle

Interesting - never thought of using this in beer , as you say I’ve used it in TC’s and WOW.

Will you add it in primary/post boil ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been looking at numbers fresh Raspberries are 44g of sugar per 1oog that's 440 per kg the recipe calls for 2.5 kg fruit that's 1100g sugar.

The syrup contains 86g per 100ml, 860 per litre so I could use about 1.5 litre of syrup.

Aamcle

Fresh raspberries would contribute water as well as sugar, you really want to try and figure out the gravity contribution rather than sugar alone. My assumption would be that much syrup is a significantly higher gravity contribution than an equivalent amount of fresh fruit.

Covrich, I've no idea about essences Id much prefer to use fruit or at least fruit puree but it's very expensive.

But back to my original subjet, how much syrup is equivalent to 1kg of fruit?

Atb. Aamcle

I think I will give that a test run with a couple of bottles of Lowicz and a Wheat kit. I'll report back on results in due course... :beer1:

I'm about to crack a batch of Raspberry Wheat open tonight

I used 1kg of frozen raspberries for 7 days in the fermenter and 100ml of Lowicz Raspberry syrup as a priming agent.

Will let you know how this turns out

I spent about £10 on frozen raspberries for my recent wheat beer. Tastes good looks good! Worth the investment!

Attachments

• F959754C-E165-4497-8158-DF9A1FA9918D.jpeg
    F959754C-E165-4497-8158-DF9A1FA9918D.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 76
Dad of jon would you like to share the recipe you used?

Aamcle
sorry for the delay.... missed the update to this thread. :oops:

Brew 8: We'll wheat again.

50 grams tettnang 20 mins boil
21.5 liters bottled water
3.1 KG wheat extract.
1290ml polish raspberry syrup ( 84g sugars per 100ml)

WB-06 yeast

1.071 og

Pitched at 21 deg

fermented at 20-23 deg for 3 weeks.

Priming:

210 ml polish raspberry syrup to prime topped up to 300 ml chase spring water to aid mixing with beer.

1.010 fg = 8% abv

Latest posts

Back