M&S Single Hop Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Bezza-

Landlord.
Reaction score
Apologies if already posted by I can't search for "M&S" as it's too short a phrase.

I was interested in people's views on the various M&S single hop ales and whether they are a good representation of each of the hop types? Thought it would be a good, easy way of learning a bit about the different hop characteristics without having to brew up large batches.

There seems to be a good variety on offer.

They'll often have enough info on the label to have a good guess who made them. I don't expect they are specially brewed for M and S. I haven't drunk any for over 5 years but remember thinking some of them tasted very familiar. I'm now almost homebrew only:thumb1:. They are certainly a way to get a good feel for varieties of hops. Drinking Oakhams Citra (from Booths supermarket) was a seminal moment for me. I've used citra loads of times since. Since 90% of imported citra is said to go to Oakhams then if M and S still do a citra beer I bet I could guess where it comes from!:beer6:

Yeah, I like them. The Citra one is great, but you might as well buy the Oakhams stuff as its basically the same thing and cheaper. I'm quite partial to the Mosaic one. Its a little tame on the hops but it certainly showcases them nicely.

Thanks - just wanted to check that what I would be tasting is what I should be tasting!!

I had the Citra one over the weekend but did find it a bit bitter for my liking. Might have just been my palate that day. Certainly worth doing some side-by-side comparisons.

They'll often have enough info on the label to have a good guess who made them. I don't expect they are specially brewed for M and S.
During our tour or Adnams the girl did say that some of their "house" brews are brewed for other shops and are just packaged in different bottles. M&S did get a mention, but she wouldn't say exactly.

As I said in another thread the Simcoe one is rather nice and worth trying if you don't yet know what Simcoe tastes like. The Boadicea is worth trying as well. I found it fruity and spicy, very English and would go well in a darker bitter. The Mosaic was nice but mildly hopped and a bit one-dimensional. All were presented as simple golden ales. Must get a few more variations in for this weekend...

I'm not drinking, I'm doing scientific research...
I picked up a Jester and a Summit to try at the weekend. While I was in there I saw possibly the daftest idea for a beer that doesn't involve things that shouldn't be in beer: "31 hop IPA". Sounds like a certain brewery needed to clear out the hop freezer and someone in accounting had a lightbulb moment.

I picked up a Jester and a Summit to try at the weekend. While I was in there I saw possibly the daftest idea for a beer that doesn't involve things that shouldn't be in beer: "31 hop IPA". Sounds like a certain brewery needed to clear out the hop freezer and someone in accounting had a lightbulb moment.

According to the interwebs...

Cascade, Galaxy, Vic’s secret, Saaz, Strisselspalt, Aramis, Polaris, Brewer’s Gold, Tettnang, Sorachi Ace, Nelson Sauvin, Motueka, Junga, Savinjski Goldings, Fuggle, WGV, Challenger, First Gold, Bramling Cross, Northdown, East Kent Goldings, Citra, Centennial, Chinook, Mosaic, Sterling, Amarillo, Summit, Simcoe, Equinox and Galena

And review says "The hop presence is slightly herbal, yet completely understated"

That's a facepalm right there.

I think I've used 14 of those hops in my brewing career. Never more than 2 in a single brew, though.

I've tried the Nelson Sauvin, Jester and Styrian Goldings and they're nice, but don't really add a great deal of flavouring hops so they end up tasting the same. Kernel do some really good single hop beers and aren't afraid to hop it properly.

I've tried the Nelson Sauvin, Jester and Styrian Goldings and they're nice, but don't really add a great deal of flavouring hops so they end up tasting the same. Kernel do some really good single hop beers and aren't afraid to hop it properly.

Well this was what I was wondering. I'm new to the idea of thinking about the characteristics of hops so hadn't given it much thought in the past. However, I think I'm looking for more of the aromatic dry hop flavours than the bitterness. The Citra I had felt to me a bit like it was a more traditional English ale that had been carbed up a bit and the different hops were used more at the boil stage than during fermentation. As such, I wasn't convinced they were demonstrating the aromatic side fully. I appreciate the concept of how hops should be used is a matter of personal preference. At the end of the day, nowt to lose by doing a side-by-side comparison. But I'll look out for those Kernal beers.

The mosaic one put me off mosaic. The others are ok but quite light on hoppiness so can be hard to tell.

Another good way to test hops is to order very small amounts in a recipe builder (5g for example) and make hop teas

Well this was what I was wondering. I'm new to the idea of thinking about the characteristics of hops so hadn't given it much thought in the past. However, I think I'm looking for more of the aromatic dry hop flavours than the bitterness. The Citra I had felt to me a bit like it was a more traditional English ale that had been carbed up a bit and the different hops were used more at the boil stage than during fermentation. As such, I wasn't convinced they were demonstrating the aromatic side fully. I appreciate the concept of how hops should be used is a matter of personal preference. At the end of the day, nowt to lose by doing a side-by-side comparison. But I'll look out for those Kernal beers.

Using hops for bitterness isn't hugely complicated, especially if it's just one variety. What it comes down to is some varieties are harsher than others, but as these beers are for a mass market audience they are all gonna be quite smooth. Single hop beers are usually for showcasing more the flavour profile really. Kernel are great for single hops, every so often Brewdog have single hop beers, Mikkeller make some great single hop beers (apparently it's the same malt bill for all making a side by side comparison much easier).

Sampling the Summit right now. It's presented as an extra pale IPA with a good bit of body. Lovely herbal flavour, very moreish. I think it might go well with Simcoe or one of the Styrian Goldings. I like this hop.

I went to M and S yesterday for the first time in ages. I thought I'd have a quick look at the single hops beers and get one to try. Two pound fifty? How much? I can brew 5 or 6 bottles for that and I bet they'd be way better. I'm offended, I said offended, by their exploitation of non brewers. Just supping one of my own Citra pales as I type. Lowish bitterness but a distinct zesty flavour. Very clean tasting. I could drink it all night and at less than ten bob a bottle why not?
Having said that £2.50 isn't a lot if they really do give you a good idea what a hop tastes like.

Sampling the Summit right now. It's presented as an extra pale IPA with a good bit of body. Lovely herbal flavour, very moreish. I think it might go well with Simcoe or one of the Styrian Goldings. I like this hop.

I read somewhere that certain palates perceive Summit as being distinctly 'onion and garlic'. Others don't get that at all. Unfortunately, I was one of those that did ( in one of my beers, not bought). Still necked it all though!

I read somewhere that certain palates perceive Summit as being distinctly 'onion and garlic'. Others don't get that at all. Unfortunately, I was one of those that did ( in one of my beers, not bought). Still necked it all though!

I didn't get 'onion and garlic'. Mostly herbal, a little pine and a grapefruit lingering finish to the bitterness. If it wasn't for the latter I would have guessed it to be an English hop. If I had to nominate a best style I'd say "IPA". I really liked it and can see myself using it.

I get some onion with Summit and occasionally Citra but I find it quite pleasant.

Back