M54 California Lager yeast lag time?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

I brewed a kind of Oktoberfest/Marzen on Sunday and used Mangrove Jacks M54 California Lager yeast. I pitched at around 22 degrees which is a little higher than the recommended but after 15 additional minutes of cooling I could not get it lower (we are 8 weeks or so into a 35 degree heatwave over here in Prague!). After 12 hours I could see a little yeast forming and after 24 hours a bit more and now after 36 hours or so the makings of a krausen but not full yet.

I have never known a lag time so long. In comparison (different yeast I know) but I brewed a mosaic ale same day slightly higher pitching temp and used M36 Liberty Bell. Within 12 hours it was going like the clappers.

Anyone had any experience with this yeast? I think it might just be a slow starter but am worried that I screwed something up.

Cheers,

alsch

Looks like you guys were right. Thanks for the re-assurance. I have not bottled yet but the morning after I posted this the M54 starting chugging away, and its now totally finished, the M36 still produces the occassional burp. I'll bottle on Friday probably.

Latest posts

Back