Mad Cow!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheyne_brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
Long day just finished brewing GEB Mad Cow stout. Rather wide quoted SG 1052-1075. The 30l Stoke liquor with 7.9kg grain bill came close to maxing out my 45l Hopcat. Slightly overshot target 23l and ended up with 25l of 1069 lusciousness in the Fermzilla. Had I sparged slightly less I could have got the top SG of 1075 at 23l. Not a lot of headroom in the Fermzilla (27l) so may fit the sounding valve and give it a pressure ferment to keep the Krausen down.

bit of a disaster barrelling my Landlord clone though, left it transferring by the port on the collection pot into what I thought was a securely seated barrel while I got on with yet another task. Oh dear, came back to find a lake of beer on the garage floor. An hour of cleaning up later I ended up with just half a barrel - bah.

Might have to slip another brew on while the missus is out - Batemans XXXB clone or an American IPA, both from Worcester Hop Shop

Paul.

Just had a taster of this brew after 6 days in barrel. Lightly carbonated as yet but that’s no bad thing. Slightly sweet, luscious and very moreish with a mild hop bitterness and layered malt & grain flavours. Its about 7% so not a quaffing ale, but doesn’t taste it. It will be out of the brew fridge next week to start chilling in the garage. Can’t wait - definitely one to drink in 330ml tulip glasses though.

Latest posts

Back