Made a slight mistake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackToBasics

Reaction score
Decided a while back to brew a 10l batch of a mosaic pale ale. My large fermenter was in use so split the batch between 2 smaller fermenters.

I wanted to cold crash before bottling but only one of the small fermenters will fit in the fridge so one went in and the other was left on the side.

Came to bottle today and nothing was coming out if the tap on the one that had been cold crashing. Assumed it was blocked with trub so left it while I bottled the other batch. Came back to the cold crash batch and got a small dribble out of the tap that started to speed up. Ah, blockage cleared I thought and proceeded to bottle the contents. Got five bottles in and things started slowing down again. I usually get at least 7 bottles out so opened the fermenter to see how much was actually left.

All that was left was the trub and a large block of ice! I'd cold crashed at 2°c but had pushed it right to the back and where it had been in contact with the fridge wall had frozen.

I've accidentally made 5 bottles of freeze distilled pale ale! No idea how strong it'll be but I've left it to carbonate with the others.

Decided a while back to brew a 10l batch of a mosaic pale ale. My large fermenter was in use so split the batch between 2 smaller fermenters.

I wanted to cold crash before bottling but only one of the small fermenters will fit in the fridge so one went in and the other was left on the side.

Came to bottle today and nothing was coming out if the tap on the one that had been cold crashing. Assumed it was blocked with trub so left it while I bottled the other batch. Came back to the cold crash batch and got a small dribble out of the tap that started to speed up. Ah, blockage cleared I thought and proceeded to bottle the contents. Got five bottles in and things started slowing down again. I usually get at least 7 bottles out so opened the fermenter to see how much was actually left.

All that was left was the trub and a large block of ice! I'd cold crashed at 2°c but had pushed it right to the back and where it had been in contact with the fridge wall had frozen.

I've accidentally made 5 bottles of freeze distilled pale ale! No idea how strong it'll be but I've left it to carbonate with the others.
We've all managed to freeze some beer in a fermenter at some time - it will be fine!

My advice would be, in order to make sure that it's all good, drink all the 7 bottles at once then jump up and down for a few minutes to make sure that it all mixes together again. Also, standing on your head would help.

PS Don't forget to send photos

Best beer I ever made was a frozen stout.

Enjoy!

If you only bottle 2.5l out of 5L I think you can assume the ABV is now double?

Not sure how it will carb up, mine was in a keg. I’m sure some yeasties hunkered down and survived.

I once accidentally froze a Pilsner.
Left it cold crashing for 3 weeks and totally forgot about it, when to check and it's was solid.
I let things warm up a bit and bottled.
Was concerned that with it been crystal clear, I would have carbonation issues when bottling, however it was fine, took about 4 weeks to carb up, but by the end, was an AMAZING beer, by far the clearest I have made and all totally by mistake.

Latest posts

Back