Made ginger beer,its been 3 hours with no bubbles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roaryt123

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I had a go at brewing ginger beer today, I followed the recipe but added some extra sugar to make it stronger. It's been over 3 hours since adding the yeast, stirring and sealing the lid and airlock.

I still havent seen any bubbles pass through the airlock, is this normal? Have I messed up somehow? And if so how do I save it? I've got other packs of yeast I can add including restarter yeast. The lid rim and airlock have vaseline to make sure it's air tight so it's not leaking anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
R

Come back in 24 hours.
Even the most active yeast will only be pushing through the odd bubble after 6 hours, most take at least 18 hours to get going properly.
And vaseline ashock1
If you really want to seal your FV lid try four strips of cling film over the FV rim then replace and click down the lid.

I wouldnt worry . Is it in a warmish place ? If so give it time . Wait until you buy a heat pad or similar , i honestly didnt know how much co2 can be produced from a demi john . Going of topic has anyone devised a mechanism to harness the bubbles/energy from the brewing ? If so please point me in the right direction. Oh and good luck im sure all will be fine .

Too early to start worrying
Give it a day or so.
CO2 has to saturate your must before ANY bubbles can be produced.

I still havent seen any bubbles pass through the airlock, is this normal?

Yes its yeast not Alka Seltzer!

Joking aside a lot of FV's are not airtight and if you are using a DJ then it will be airtight but as has been said if it isn't showing signs after 24 - 48 then you may be having problems.

Back