Made my first AG in more than 20 years.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Eastwood

Reaction score
Started at 7pm last night finished at 3 am this morning and boy am I cream crackered.
I haven't got a clue what the brew is called as I used the only things I could get my hands on from the LHBS just to try out the equipment I got from PD on here.
4.5kilo of pale malt
.5 kilo of wheat malt.
And get this:
3 OZ of Hallertau hops at start
1 OZ EK Goldings last 15 minutes. :rofl:
2 packets of some old Munton's gold.
I don't think I've seen a recipe with these combined but no doubt you guys will put me right.
Luckily my The Malt Miller order has arrived.
It smells nice though if you like athletes foot aroma and Wifey mumbled something about the garden next time.
It's good of her as she did get in the way a bit whilst washing up. :D
I wonder if they do a middle fermenting yeast?

Sounds good. I've been wondering what it's like to make an ale with lager hops or if you can make a lager with just British hops.

rpt said:
Sounds good. I've been wondering what it's like to make an ale with lager hops

I think Fullers Discovery is made with Saaz :thumb: and served chilled ( although I am sure it didn't used to be )

8 hours Tony...what were you doing ? watching the bloody tv !

:D

Well you got started and no doubt the brew will be drinkable. Soon have you making 8-9% good old Malty Ales...

any problems with the gear ?

piddledribble said:
8 hours Tony...what were you doing ? watching the bloody tv !

:D

Well you got started and no doubt the brew will be drinkable. Soon have you making 8-9% good old Malty Ales...

any problems with the gear ?

I started thinking I should be finished by about 1 am, most of the time I spent talking to my inquisitive wife who wanted to know everything I was doing and why.
Which I didn't mind at least she's showing an interest. The KFC bargain bucket that arrived at 11 didn't help either. :D
The gear went really well mate, when you said a good rolling boil you really meant it. I thought it was going to jump our of there a couple of times.
I managed to boil about a third of it away and it had a lovely gloss when it had finished. Hopefully it will turn out as good as it looks. The KFC was **** but at least my son paid for it. :thumb:

yes its quite a balancing act with the temp control knob....but you can hit the sweet spot. after first 15 mins or so put the lid on at half cock and lower the temp a little.

that's 70 something grams of hallertua isn't it? your going to taste those!

sam.k said:
that's 70 something grams of hallertua isn't it? your going to taste those!
Yes . :D If I remember rightly they had a 7 rating for bitterness. I used them a lot in the past as I enjoy strong larger.
I got these cheap from LHBH as they only had a week left on the date. so hopefully they may have lost some of their pungency. This is why I basically bunged the lot in. As well as remembering Dave line's obsession with 4 OZ of hops overall.

dennisking said:
Good to see you returning to AG after a absence. :thumb: I'm sure your next one will be shorter.
Your right. :thumb: I was saying all the way through I will do this and that next time. I just can't get over the luxury of a tap and filters at the business end. It's a bit of a learning curve from using a bag. I sussed out I had to throw the first run offs gently back into the tun.
I also need to do a bit of fabrication to lower the outlet tube nearer the bottom of the tun under the filter to get a little more out through the syphon effect.
Hopefully the small amount of hot break that ended up in the FV wont effect the brew too much.

Cononthebarber said:
Great job sounds like an epic brew day! Welcome back to the dark side :cheers:
I'm a bit in the dog house to be honest as I managed to peel some paint off the kitchen ceiling with all the steam. My wife said I will have to sort something out next time. I wonder if my son will notice the vent running through his bedroom? :D

piddledribble said:
yes its quite a balancing act with the temp control knob....but you can hit the sweet spot. after first 15 mins or so put the lid on at half cock and lower the temp a little.
How long did you normally boil for mate? Did it depend on the strength of the brew?

rpt said:
Sounds good. I've been wondering what it's like to make an ale with lager hops or if you can make a lager with just British hops.
I'll let you know mate when it's ready to drink, or throw in the sink. :cheers:

weathers getting better...get it set up on a workmate out in the sun for the boil.

a chair at its side, a beer in hand........hmmmmm hard graft this brewing

I boil for 60 mins, not found anything to its detriment. They say 90 mins improves its keeping age.....ha.... get it supped.

piddledribble said:
weathers getting better...get it set up on a workmate out in the sun for the boil.

a chair at its side, a beer in hand........hmmmmm hard graft this brewing

I boil for 60 mins, not found anything to its detriment. They say 90 mins improves its keeping age.....ha.... get it supped.
I thought the BBQ was my only excuse for a session in the garden. In fact I can make a pork chop take hours. :D Now I have another excuse. 6 hour boil this one takes love. (Snigger)

Latest posts

Back