Magnum dry white kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogbrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Bottled this kit yesterday and couldn't resist a bottle last night.
Brewed as instructed adding 3.5 kg of sugar and used bottled 17p water. Finished at 995fg after 2 weeks in fv, transferred to another fv, degassed, stabilised,finings and 3 days later bottled nice and clear.
Finished up with 26 bottles of a nice refreshing fruity white wine which will probably improve if my wife can keep her mitts off it. @86p a bottle its a winner. Anyone else tried this kit?

I used to make them regularly for the missus. Do they still come with the comedy-sized ( ie huge ) packet of yeast? She liked them but being the tight-fisted bleeder that I am, started making her wine from supermarket juice with similar results.

Yeah the yeast packet is quite large gunge, just fits in the lid. I make loads of 1 gallon wows but find the 30 bottle kits easier as they include all the ingredients for not much more cost.

Yeah the yeast packet is quite large gunge, just fits in the lid. I make loads of 1 gallon wows but find the 30 bottle kits easier as they include all the ingredients for not much more cost.

What was your OG? I ask cos I recall only ever getting maybe 24 bottles out of a kit; anything more would be an unacceptably low OG without chucking even more sugar in. I think their stated 'makes 30 bottles' is wildly and misleadingly optimistic.

I didn't check the OG and don't usually when I make a kit, I just knock off 2 or 3 bottles worth of water when I make the kit up.
Not very scientific I know but usually turns out OK.

Thanks a good price and free postage, we have a Range store close to us so i now regularly make their Rose wine and at £19:99 its a steal, my review is here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33697

Just noticed i made the first one on May 26, 2013 ashock1

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.jpg

I you make the white i would advise you not to add the extra sugar in the instructions (unless you like a really sweet wine) as it was sweet enough without it.

Cheers chippy, its the missus who drinks the wine and she likes it medium to dry but not sweet. I never add any sweetener to my wines or wows and they don't hang around long.

Magnum medium dry white wine kit.
I don't have much experience of brewing beer or wine making. I normally use my fv for making alcohol wash, which I distill in an air still and flavour.
Due to "Her who must be obeyed" being a great wine lover (or anything alcoholic) and me wishing to live in a nag free house hold I have tried making wine from various kits and found the magnum dry white wine kit very good value for money even if you don't get the 30 bottles out of it.
The first Wine that I ever made was using the cellar 7 fruit Raspberry and cassis red wine kit.
I had bought this with the intention of adding it to the brandy I had distilled earlier to try my hand at making port, but she had other idea's so I ended up splitting the batch and made half wine and used the rest to make port.
Unlike the "wicked one who must be obeyed" I am not a great lover of wine,
But that one is probably the best tasting wine I have made from a kit even if it was twice the price of the magnum kit.
Unfortunately she loved it as well and has decided that the wine I am making is better that the stuff she buys out the supermarket so my fate is sealed (I'm Doomed) as involuntary wine maker.
The only non kit wine I have tried to make was strawberry wine using farmfoods frozen strawberries (I think that they were 3 packs for a fiver) using Lalvin Champagne yeast EC118, Oh that was a strong one, very tasty and didn't stay on the shelf for very long. Anyway back to the magnum dry white wine kit.
The best use I found for the magnum dry white wine kit is to make elderflower wine (only because she really likes it and its cheap)
The last batch I made I got 36 0.75 litre bottles out of it at 14% Abv approx which are on a high shelf (out of her reach)to properly condition until October maybe???
Ingredients

100g dried elderflowers. (inserted into a 7 * 18 dry hopper spider filter)
1 magnum white wine kit.
6kg granulated sugar
2 crushed campden tablets
3 heaped tablespoons citric acid.
300ml vegetable glycerine
Water as required (think it was around 28 litres)
Brix = 23.5
start gravity =just under 1.1
final gravity = 0.992
primary fermentation left till bubbles in airlock stopped around 10 days
spider filter containing elderflower removed
wine degassed 3 times at 3 hour intervals
final sg reading taken
stabiliser from kit added
next day 300ml vegetable glycerine stirred in
finings A from kit stirred in
min 3 hours later (think I left it 10 hours) finings B from the kit stirred in
wine left around 2 to 3 days to clear
wine then transferred to bottles corked, capped and labeled.
20190715_014941.jpg
20190715_015429.jpg

20190715_072000.jpg

I you make the white i would advise you not to add the extra sugar in the instructions (unless you like a really sweet wine) as it was sweet enough without it.

Am I miss understanding Chippy? Your saying don't add 3.5kg sugar to the grape concentrate?
Surely this cant be right?!?!
Just bought this kit for £15.

You need to add 3.5Kg of sugar at the start or it wont ferment, the instructions tell you to add 750g of sugar to back sweeten after you have stabilised and degassed it, this is the part we skipped as we don't like very sweet wine we were glad we did as the wine was sweet enough without the extra sugar.

Got you mate cheers for clearing that up. Don’t think my instructions mention back sweetening hence my confusion.

Got you mate cheers for clearing that up. Don’t think my instructions mention back sweetening hence my confusion.

Is this the white kit you are making (the rose and red kits don't call for extra sugar) Is there no mention of adding 750g of sugar before bottling this quote is from my original review -

By week 2 it had totally changed from the harsh flavour it had when first finished, it tasted more like it is described - "light, fruity, medium-sweet rose wine. With well-balanced sweetness and acidity this rose wine features subtle apple and strawberry notes"
Bear in mind the instructions say to add 750g of sugar before bottling, i would advise caution and add it to each bottle before drinking rather than do the whole batch in one go in the FV.
Let us know how you get on.

Yeah chippy it’s the dry white kit maybe they changed instructions now no mention of back sweeten.

Latest posts

Back