Magnum rose wine kit - fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reprobate

Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm a bit of a newby so go easy!

I've made quite a few of the Magnum wine kits with great results over the summer, I've got one of the Rose kits on the go now as the missis is a bit partial to it. I did one in the summer and after 7 days fermentation had stopped, and was ready for racking to a new bucket and adding finings, it came out great really clear and tasted lovely.

The one I'm on with at the moment is frothing away and bubbling as it should but it's been going for 12 days this time, I use heat pads and brew the stuff in the shed. The only thing I can put the slower fermentation down to is the drop in the temperature as we move in to Autumn, I have the bucket wrapped in an old duvet to hold the heat in, which it seems to be doing. I just wanted to check this is probably the case. I took a hydrometer reading today and it's coming out at 1.000 so I guess it's nearly there, but is taking quite a bit longer than the summer ferments.

Many thanks for any advice.

Simon

The only thing I can put the slower fermentation down to is the drop in the temperature as we move in to Autumn, I have the bucket wrapped in an old duvet to hold the heat in, which it seems to be doing.

I think you've nailed it, i will be using my heat pad for my next wine now the temperature has started to fall.

I think you've nailed it, i will be using my heat pad for my next wine now the temperature has started to fall.
Thanks Chippy, I got some WOW on the go too.. be interesting to see how that turns out. I made some with apple juice and it's pretty good, not much flavour though.

We can forgive new members getting a wee bit confused Cant we.

As the winter draws in,It is indeed time to dust off the heatpads.
If anyone doubts the value of a heat pad in winter i suggest they try one.

Latest posts

Back