Maintaining fermentation temperatures: individual vessels vs entire brewery (air con)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A reverse cycle AC unit can be 400% efficient, making electric heating competitive with gas.................

I like those numbers; I will definitely investigate since I will need some form of winter heating anyway to guarantee that things won't freeze.

I think the advantage of the mat is that is spreads the heat over the complete surface rather than from the bottom. You wouldn’t need to have the cone covered. Where would your thermocouples be located on the conicals?

A reverse cycle AC unit can be 400% efficient, making electric heating competitive with gas.................
I would also add mine is an inverter system it is left on 24, 7, 365 days the room is well insulated so it doesn't have to work so hard.

I think the advantage of the mat is that is spreads the heat over the complete surface rather than from the bottom. You wouldn’t need to have the cone covered. Where would your thermocouples be located on the conicals?

Good question; I thought the Brewbuilder ones came with thermowells but I am not sure that they do. Probably halfway up the side and insulated. Does that sound sensible?

Last edited:
The Olympia is an inverter system too and includes an additional panel heater for when the outside air temp drops below 2C when the heatpump won't work as a heater. It's almost £1200 on Amazon and gets good reviews. So, at £900 from Olimpia Unico Smart 12HP 9000 BTU Wall Mounted Air conditioner and Heat Pump without outdoor unit for rooms up to 30 sqm Smart12HP | Appliances Direct

it's a bargain. But you do need to drill two 200mm holes in the wall.

Sounds it! Fortunately I only need to drill 200mm holes in MDF-like pro-board and cut the rest with tin snips, it took around half an hour for my fan vent (attached). I know the pain of coring through brick from doing the groundwork for the brewery and trying to get the waste water into the drain - at foot-height! -, so I'm glad not to have to do that again :eek:

The Olimpia seems to have the edge on the powrmatic in terms of weight too. It's about 8KG lighter and takes up less wall space.

Attachments

• IMAG0379.jpg
    IMAG0379.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 91
Just check with seller that it has the electric panel heater built in as I can't find that info now. There are manuals online. I think the price is good because there is a newer model called 'pro'.

But the panel heater would be just like any £20 heater from Argos - not a deal breaker if not fitted.

Back