Maintaining temperatures in FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EG_Wanna_Be

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am a few days into my first brew, and whilst the FV is bubbling away happily enough, I have been struggling to maintain a consistent temperature.

It has ranged anywhere from 14-18 Degrees Celsius, probably not the worst, but I would prefer it to be somewhere around 18-20 from what I gather.

My issue is that our house isn't insulated very well, and unless the heaters are on, temps drop fairly rapidly. I have been trying to leave central heating on for a few hours, and then off for a few, and then on again for a few in order to try and combat fuel prices, but also get some heat into the FV.

I am curious, how are you guys doing it? Are there any simple fixes? I have thought about wrapping a duvet around it, but then I obscure the thermometer... am I being too anal?

Cheers in advance!

Evan

RobWalker said:
fish tank immersion heater. keeps it constant, costs a tenner and fully controllable temperature for different brewing styles. :thumb:

Brilliant! I have just found one on Amazon! Curiously...I am using a bin-style FV with an 'air-tight' lid. How best would I introduce one of these to the wort, in the most sanitised way possible?

EG_Wanna_Be said:
Fantastic... Ordered! It doesn't get more efficient than that!

I just got one recently, came with a bung stopper, you can always drill a hole in the lid and stick it it. Just sterilize it well. Mine seems to be working well, doesn't use my electricity and definitely cheaper than having the heating on and off.

The added bonus is that SWMBO doesn't go mental when she can't find the spare duvet for guests!!! :rofl:

cwiseman77 said:
EG_Wanna_Be said:
Fantastic... Ordered! It doesn't get more efficient than that!

I just got one recently, came with a bung stopper, you can always drill a hole in the lid and stick it it. Just sterilize it well. Mine seems to be working well, doesn't use my electricity and definitely cheaper than having the heating on and off.

The added bonus is that SWMBO doesn't go mental when she can't find the spare duvet for guests!!! :rofl:

Haha, I love it! Thanks for the tips guys!

alternatively you can stand the FV in a tray of water which has the fish tank water heater in - that way you can snap the lid on tight with an airlock! I personally use the "dangle it in the beer" method as previously described! So long as the heater is properly sanitised you'll have no problems! :thumb:

tim

I tried the water bath method last night for the first time. My aquarium heater will go from 20C upwards. I set it at 20C and left it a while. The problem I found was that it kept a constant 22C when measured with my thermometer. This seems a little high for fermentation, it's probably fine but i'm worried that the high temp will cause yeast to produce off flavours.

Any thoughts? will ales be ok at 22C? (temp inside FV may be even higher due to exothermic reactions?)

So many ways to skin a cat.

I ferment in a thermopot.

TBH I've never checked the temperature but I will do next brew.

Id have thought that the temp would be pretty constant.

RD

LeedsBrewer said:
I tried the water bath method last night for the first time. My aquarium heater will go from 20C upwards. I set it at 20C and left it a while. The problem I found was that it kept a constant 22C when measured with my thermometer. This seems a little high for fermentation, it's probably fine but i'm worried that the high temp will cause yeast to produce off flavours.

Any thoughts? will ales be ok at 22C? (temp inside FV may be even higher due to exothermic reactions?)
yep as said above get a large container and pop heater in that with fv and you can adjust , as there is more volume of liquid the heater will struggle more so temp should drop to 20c ,and if still too warm , switch heater off and water helps keep temp a little lower than it would of been (remember yeast will heat up brew a little so cooloing down in a warmish room is sometimes needed , thats why brewing in a colder room than your brew is better )

Back