Make Do Food for the Crisis

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Simple recipe No.1

Cheezy Spaghetti

Ingredients:
  • Spaghetti for two people,
  • 2 x Laughing Cow or Dairylea Cheese Triangles. (Must be Original)
Method:
  • Boil up the spaghetti in salty water until tender.
  • Drain into a cup.
  • Chop up triangles into small lumps and stir into spaghetti.
  • Add pepper to taste.
  • Add small amount of drained water.
Serve hot and enjoy with a bit of tomato ketchup is required.

You’ve got spaghetti!?

Sounds filthy but yummy.

I’m having homemade beer bread and smoked cheese with lashings of butter tonight.

I'm hoping to pick up a few pointers from @Clint . He of polytunnel fame, to tell us what veggies can be grown most quickly and which are the most nutritious.

I'm hoping to pick up a few pointers from @Clint . He of polytunnel fame, to tell us what veggies can be grown most quickly and which are the most nutritious.
This really all depends on how long the current situation will go on for and how quickly you want results. If we are talking a few weeks then the best options would be salad crops like lettuce, rocket, radish, spring onions. A crop could be achieved in 4-6 weeks, especially if you have a polytunnel or similar. If you are thinking longer term (ie. things to plant now for crops in the summer) then potatoes, tomatoes and courgettes would be a good bet. These are relatively simple to grow, crop abundantly and are versatile in use.

Pak choi is fairly quick to be ready, about 6 to 8 weeks apparently. I’m growing some for the first time and after three weeks they are coming on well.

My "go to" veg was always Spinach.

Grown in the garden (as opposed to the hydroponic farms that supply the supermarkets) it has a superb taste and the joy of it is that it can be cropped throughout the year, It really is a crop that keeps on giving!

My favourite recipe is steamed spinach laid on a slice of buttered toast, topped with a runny poached egg with salt and pepper to taste! athumb..

Talking of which I can't remember seeing a post from Clint in the last day or so, hope he's ok

BTW, every time that Jamie Oliver puts pasta into a pan he says "Some people put a drop of olive oil into the pan in the belief that it stops the pasta stickingr. It doesn't!"

Jamie's right that the olive oil doesn't stop the pasta bits sticking together, but that isn't why I put a drop of oil in the pan anyway! :laugh8:

A small drop of olive oil in the boiling water reduces the "boil-over" foam for which pasta is famous. It won't stop a boil-over. but it does allow you sufficient time to get in there and turn the heat down before it happens!

So a drop of olive oil in the brew may stop boilovers? is that what you are saying Dutto:coat:

Grown in the garden (as opposed to the hydroponic farms that supply the supermarkets) it has a superb taste and the joy of it is that it can be cropped throughout the year, It really is a crop that keeps on giving!

My favourite recipe is steamed spinach laid on a slice of buttered toast, topped with a runny poached egg with salt and pepper to taste! athumb..

That’s exactly what I’m about to have for lunch!

Gunna try that as I like spinach with butter on

I love spinach. It's especially good in a curried veg mix.
Let's not get down to serious, wartime, ration-book, austerity foods, though. There's plenty of good food about, The point, surely, is to avoid going to the supermarket as much as possible as it's the best place to infect and get infected.
Having said that, If I understand the so-called bailout arrangements for the self-employed, the newly self-employed, who've probably invested all their savings, are going to get diddly-squat. Let's hope I've misunderstood it otherwise there's going to be some real hardship.

Gunna try that as I like spinach with butter on
1585402124255.png

as most of you know I work in a supermarket part-time (not at the mo more like full) and when stocking the shelves this morning you could see for the first time that people are buying the basics in each product as a example loads of yoghurts sold but anything mid to high price yoghurts not selling looks like belt tightening so maybe the powdered eggs may come back?

Latest posts

Back