Make your own extract? Can it be done?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callumbo

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I was toying with an idea earlier today about the kits you get for brewing beer and they are basically a condensed wort from when you do all grain.

Now my question is, is it possible to continue the boil to the point of very high og so that you could store this and effectively dilute it when ready to ferment it like the kits.

Im not sure if the process would be worth it as most of the process is effectively done so might as well put in the FV and let it get on with its job. I was thinking on the hand of do a bulk brew week and then using the wort when my FV's are free

Im very curious to see if this can be done or if anyone has done it before

I think that the LME manufacturers evaporate the wort at low pressure. Concentrating it with heat would result in a very dark and savoury extract.

I think that the LME manufacturers evaporate the wort at low pressure. Concentrating it with heat would result in a very dark and savoury extract.

Cheers for the response I thought there might be something more to it.

Also I was think about the sugar. All grain the sugar is already in it but some malt extract require additional sugar.

Just a thought I had if it was possible. Cheers

Cheers for the response I thought there might be something more to it.

Also I was think about the sugar. All grain the sugar is already in it but some malt extract require additional sugar.

Just a thought I had if it was possible. Cheers

Yeah, I found on the Briess website:

The storage tanks continuously feed into the evaporator, which concentrates the wort to 80% solids (about the consistency of honey). The evaporator works under vacuum, which allows the wort to boil at lower temperatures, 160-100 degree Fahrenheit, which saves both time and energy. Lower temperatures also allow concentration to occur without damaging the color or flavor of the concentrated wort.

You could do it at home with a vacuum desiccant, but they are so small that you could only do tiny batches.

Great idea but at 31 quid a pop I'd still rather make it myself and only spend �£7 on ingredients

Hi!
One point missed!
I wasn't suggesting that you dip into your pocket to buy commercial wort - I was merely pointing out that you don't need to make concentrated wort when storing fresh wort is already an established practice.

You can do it to a certain extent cheaply. You can do a max-biab (which is how I brew) then either can or cube the wort. I concentrate my wort so it's about 10% more concentrated than a full boil. I've never tried any more concentrated. I suppose you can concentrate it more by boiling it for a really long time. What the flavour impact would be (such as possibly caramalising the wort) is I'm not entirely sure

Hi!
One point missed!
I wasn't suggesting that you dip into your pocket to buy commercial wort - I was merely pointing out that you don't need to make concentrated wort when storing fresh wort is already an established practice.

good job :lol:

but i suppose the key is storage. If i can store that much volume then why cant you ferment that much

You can do it to a certain extent cheaply. You can do a max-biab (which is how I brew) then either can or cube the wort. I concentrate my wort so it's about 10% more concentrated than a full boil. I've never tried any more concentrated. I suppose you can concentrate it more by boiling it for a really long time. What the flavour impact would be (such as possibly caramalising the wort) is I'm not entirely sure

Hi MyQul

This is where i got the idea from as i have also begun doing a maxi brew and wanted to know if it could be done to such a massive extent.

I think from what i have read. No one has tried it and it may come out like a thick earthy muck but you don't these things till you try them. :mrgreen:

Hi MyQul

This is where i got the idea from as i have also begun doing a maxi brew and wanted to know if it could be done to such a massive extent.

I think from what i have read. No one has tried it and it may come out like a thick earthy muck but you don't these things till you try them. :mrgreen:

Well there's only one way to find out ;)

Latest posts

Back