Making a cheap slider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysbrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Made 2 litres of Sloe Gin which is ready.

Want to make Slider again which I have made before.

Last time I used Westons scrumpy in one of those small demi john style containers, its about 7.5 % if I remember right but not the cheapest cider.

Could I just use some cheap fizz and have a cheaper drink?

Thanks

:grin:

What was expensive, the cider or the sloes?

If it's the cider, there isn't really a cheaper way than just using value apple juice and wine yeast. I make this regularly and it costs about £3 for a gallon. Don't use readily fermented cider, you're just paying tax that way.

If it's the sloes, maybe sub them out for a tin of dark pie filling, a container of frozen fruit with skins on?

The cider is expensive...

The sloes were picked less than a mile from my house.

Can I add apple juice and yeast to the gin soaked sloes and fit an airlock to the demi john?

Would this be ok?

Thanks.

Never seems to be anyone on this side of the forum.

Is sloe gin a dying breed.....

:wha:

Andysbrew said:
The cider is expensive...

The sloes were picked less than a mile from my house.

Can I add apple juice and yeast to the gin soaked sloes and fit an airlock to the demi john?

Would this be ok?

Thanks.

Probably work but I'd have thought making the cider first then adding the sloes would be more reliable.

Thanks oldbloke will try this, wanted to strain the sloes and bottle my sloe gin, will it do any harm leaving the sloes in my gin until I have a free DJ?

I have a high alcohol yeast knocking around somewhere, should be ok to throw that in?

Thanks

:thumb:

If you leave them too long you may get some bitterness, having said that last season's sloes are still in some gin downstairs....

High alc yeast will be OK, it'll stop when it runs out of sugar like any yeast

Maybe a daft question , but do I need to add sugar or just apple juice and yeast with a bit of nutrient in a DJ?

Thanks

I've done this with both Cider and Cyser, not sure if it would work to well after carbonation (ie an already carbonated cider but worth a try).

Latest posts

Back