Malt Cold extraction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeybrew

Reaction score
wotcher,

I do cold extractions on coffee to get max taste but not bitterness.

Has anyone tried a cold malt extraction.

I mean cracked malt, plus cold water, left 24 hrs then strained.

Would you get the sugar and flavour profile out?

Just curious....

Interesting, I suppose given enough time you might get some colour out of it but not sure about sugars and nutrients. Part of the deal is enzymes breaking down grains to get at sugars. Think of it like chewing your food before digesting it in the stomach.

You might get something out of it but it will not be efficient and definitely not to spec.

Might be interesting to try on black malt though. A lot of colour but perhaps less of the acidic bite to it.

I don't think the starch will turn to sugar without heat or at least not much so I think you would get starchy non-very low alcohol beer.

Interesting, I suppose given enough time you might get some colour out of it but not sure about sugars and nutrients. Part of the deal is enzymes breaking down grains to get at sugars. Think of it like chewing your food before digesting it in the stomach.

You might get something out of it but it will not be efficient and definitely not to spec.

Might be interesting to try on black malt though. A lot of colour but perhaps less of the acidic bite to it.

I might just leave 20g in 100ml overnight and taste the liqour to see.....

Latest posts

Back