Malt crush for Grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got myself my first grain mill, a Brewferm 2 roller mill, and was wondering what the best crush is for a Grainfather? On their site it says 1.27-1.4mm, is this range good?

Thanks.

Also, I don't have any feeler gauges and looking on Amazon they all go up to 1mm, what would be the best way to set the gap?

Thanks for your responses. A credit card is 0.76mm making it too thin, and holding 2 together would be too thick.

I found a set of feeler gauges on Amazon Prime, I can hold a 1mm and 0.27mm spacer together, don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.

I've done 2 brews with my malt mill now. First one the malt was crushed way too thin and got stuck mash and stuck sparge, got some feeler gauges and measured out 1.28mm. Sparge wasn't stuck but the wort didn't clear as much as before and sparge was incredibly slow,towards the end it looked like it was stuck. There was a lot of malt in the wort during the boil as well.

When spacing the rollers, I clamped the feeler gauges between the 2 rollers tightly, and when I pulled them out it was difficult and there was a lot of resistance. Is this correct? Have I somehow managed to misuse something as simple as a feeler gauge?

I use a credit card width between the rollers and haven't had too many problems.

I use the 1mm one and just make sure the gap is slightly wider than it. To be honest you could actually use more than one feeler gauge together to set a gap of more than 1mm.

I use 3 feeler gauges to measure out the gap, measuring out 1.28mm. I have one of those sets with loads of different sizes on.

A credit card seems too thin, it's 0.78mm thick.

I use 3 feeler gauges to measure out the gap, measuring out 1.28mm. I have one of those sets with loads of different sizes on.

A credit card seems too thin, it's 0.78mm thick.
1.28mm us too coarse i think ,m the efficiency tumbles at that crush. I think 1mm is more like it and in fact pre fine spraying with water night before 140ml to 6kg ratio and paddle mix will help and let you go down to 0.8mm.

When spacing the rollers, I clamped the feeler gauges between the 2 rollers tightly, and when I pulled them out it was difficult and there was a lot of resistance. Is this correct? Have I somehow managed to misuse something as simple as a feeler gauge?
Yes, you have. The feeler gauge shouldn't be clamped tight. It's difficult to describe, there should be some resistance when you pull them out, but it shouldn't be difficult. I learned by an experienced mechanic holding the gauges while I withdrew them.

I use my Usdaw membership card, it's a bit thicker than a credit card, and it's spot on for me.

I'm not sure they were easier to service. I still do my own, well I need a laptop for a brake job, and different kind of approach to things.
You can't expect ppl to know how feeler gauge work if they not even able to read a book, or have no common sense at all. It's not meant to be personal to the starter of the topic.

I'm not sure they were easier to service. I still do my own, well I need a laptop for a brake job, and different kind of approach to things.
You can't expect ppl to know how feeler gauge work if they not even able to read a book, or have no common sense at all. It's not meant to be personal to the starter of the topic.
I'm not sure what prompted you to say it, but I am sure, in the past that many people would have been able to use a feeler gauge (and so understand how they work) while not being able to read.

I'm not sure what prompted you to say it, but I am sure, in the past that many people would have been able to use a feeler gauge (and so understand how they work) while not being able to read.
Maybe, if you read and understand the whole sentence and not just the bit you highlighted...
But I don't wanna hijack the thread.

Maybe, if you read and understand the whole sentence and not just the bit you highlighted...
But I don't wanna hijack the thread.
I have read and understood all of your post but still can't see the connection between being able to read a book and use a feeler gauge. I can see how some with no common sense might struggle, but that has nothing to do with being able to read. People with and without common sense can read and some will be able to understand how to use a feeler gauge.

Back