Malt Group Buy in London/Berkshire Area

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
@chillipickle @Victor.l

I have been approached by a couple of people to see if it would be possible to create a collaborative buying group in the London area to benefit from the low prices we are achieving in South Cheshire

@chopps and I who set the group up here are happy to offer any support we can and whilst the group is being set up, and of course appropriate contacts at malsters. Our view is that there is much more to be gained from collaborative buying than just cheap prices - we have made many more friends and learned a lot.

So the purpose of this post is to see what interest there is in:

1. Buying from such a forum

2. Being involved as one of the organisers, there are 3 roles needed

- Someone to receive and collate orders from members
- Someone who can take a delivery of a pallet containing 40 X 25kg bags and keep them dry for a couple of days until members collect
- A "treasurer" who receives the money from members and pays the malster

Although someone could in theory do all three - it would be better if a small group of people took responsibility between them

Over to you!

I would certainly help sort the orders out if we have enough intrest.Sadly no room to hold a pallet.

To be honest 40 bags isn't that much, i would probably take 3 or 4.
Any one intrested get posting.

Thanks for starting a thread OB i have been meaning to get one posted.

Thanks for posting the thread, I'd definitely be interested in buying some malt.

At a stretch I might be able to store a few sacks but I don't really have the space to take delivery of a whole pallet.

OB thanks a bunch for starting this thread , you could be our banker as trusted elderly
Might throw the link to FB group to get more people involved from Berkshire and surrounding counties
Obviously it won’t happen overnight but its a good starter 🤗

@chillipickle @Victor.l

I have been approached by a couple of people to see if it would be possible to create a collaborative buying group in the London area to benefit from the low prices we are achieving in South Cheshire

@chopps and I who set the group up here are happy to offer any support we can and whilst the group is being set up, and of course appropriate contacts at malsters. Our view is that there is much more to be gained from collaborative buying than just cheap prices - we have made many more friends and learned a lot.

So the purpose of this post is to see what interest there is in:

1. Buying from such a forum

2. Being involved as one of the organisers, there are 3 roles needed

- Someone to receive and collate orders from members
- Someone who can take a delivery of a pallet containing 40 X 25kg bags and keep them dry for a couple of days until members collect
- A "treasurer" who receives the money from members and pays the malster

Although someone could in theory do all three - it would be better if a small group of people took responsibility between them

Over to you!

Please could you give some typical prices that you have achieved @Obadiah Boondoggle? it strikes me that someone receiving deliveries would need a forklift or manual pallet truck to handle pallets as well as dry storage. Is that your experience?

I have contacts at a couple of breweries around Guildford who may be willing to help out. It would be an easier conversation if there was a margin in it for them.

Would potential buyers be happy to collect from near Guildford?

Please could you give some typical prices that you have achieved @Obadiah Boondoggle? it strikes me that someone receiving deliveries would need a forklift or manual pallet truck to handle pallets as well as dry storage. Is that your experience?

I have contacts at a couple of breweries around Guildford who may be willing to help out. It would be an easier conversation if there was a margin in it for them.

Hi W

These are the prices we are charged by Muntons - fixed for this year - I don't know, but there may be a slight difference in your area - as it's a different sales manager for your area. We could easily check this for you

BASE MALTS
Pale Planet Malt£15.53 / 25kg sack
Extra Pale Planet Malt£15.53 / 25kg sack
Pale Craft Malt£15.53 / 25kg sack
Pilsner Malt£15.53 / 25kg sack
Lager Malt£15.53 / 25kg sack
Pale Maris Otter Malt£17.30 / 25kg sack
Extra Pale Maris Otter Malt£17.30 / 25kg sack
Mild Malt£15.58 / 25kg sack
Pale 50/50 MO/Propino£16.38 / 25kg sack
Super Pale Malt£17.65 / 25kg sack
Organic Ale Malt£25.85 / 25kg sack
SPECIALITY MALTS
Crushed unless stated otherwise
Munich£17.05 / 25kg sack
Vienna£18.03 / 25kg sack
Cara Malt 10£27.65 / 25kg sack
Cara Malt 30£20.68 / 25kg sack
Crystal 110£20.53 / 25kg sack
Crystal 150£20.80 / 25kg sack
Crystal 240£20.48 / 25kg sack
Crystal 400£19.70 / 25kg sack
Light Chocolate£21.10 / 25kg sack
Chocolate£21.00 / 25kg sack
Amber£21.95 / 25kg sack
Brown£21.90 / 25kg sack
Black£19.10 / 25kg sack
Roasted Barley£18.85 / 25kg sack
Toasted Barley Flakes£20.88 / 20kg sack
Wheat Malt£17.85 / 25kg sack
Malted Wheat Flakes£17.98 / 25kg sack.
Torrified Wheat£17.20 / 25kg sack
Melanoidin Wheat£17.23 / 25kg sack
Pale Rye Malt£20.60 / 25kg sack
Dark Crystal Rye Malt£23.10 / 25kg sack
Malted Rye Flakes£25.10 / 25kg sack
Oat Malt£25.33 / 25kg sack
Dextrin Malt£16.18 / 25kg sack

All are available crushed and uncrushed.

it strikes me that someone receiving deliveries would need a forklift or manual pallet truck to handle pallets as well as dry storage. Is that your experience?

The Sales Manager we work with knows that we have neither, and so he arranges the delivery with a lorry that has a manual pallet truck. The driver brings the pallet to my garage (which is dry) and I keep the sacks there until people collect. The expectation is that people collect within 2 or 3 days after delivery and so someone would need to store for a couple of days at most.

I think this idea is well worth exploring - breweries will be achieving a better price than we do - so there would be a margin in it for them. First time we did it we used this route with one brewery - we have also tried to set it up with another local brewery where the idea would have been that we all collect from them. It never happened because I guess they are busy just coping with Covid-19 issues. The other advantage of this route is that you are supporting a local business and building a mutually beneficial relationship with them - from which people might learn extra brewing skills. There are one or two other financial issues here which I could pm you about

I suspect so - keep raising it on the forum, and we found people were interested and started ordering. I think Guilford has more population density (hence home brewers) than S Cheshire

Anything else just ask

Thank you @Obadiah Boondoggle. Are those delivered prices? If not, how much is delivery? What is the minimum load? It would be helpful if you could check with your Muntons contact whether, in principle, they would extend (or even improve on the pricing for additional volume?) to deliveries in Berkshire/Surrey and to provide the names of breweries in the area where they already have accounts/make deliveries.
Feel free to PM me.

Thank you @Obadiah Boondoggle. Are those delivered prices? If not, how much is delivery? What is the minimum load? It would be helpful if you could check with your Muntons contact whether, in principle, they would extend (or even improve on the pricing for additional volume?) to deliveries in Berkshire/Surrey and to provide the names of breweries in the area where they already have accounts/make deliveries.
Feel free to PM me.
HI Wynne

Those are the delivered prices as long as you order a pallet i.e. 40 to 44 sacks. If you ordered under 39 there would be a delivery charge or if you ordered 45 - 79 there would be a delivery charge. Best to stick to 40 sack orders

You would not need to work via a brewery's account - here in S Cheshire we have our own account with them

We have made progress today with Muntons and Crisp

As a starter these are Muntons prices delivered to London (assuming a 40 sack delivery) - all malts are available crushed or uncrushed

BASE MALTS
Pale Planet Malt£16.53 / 25kg sack
Extra Pale Planet Malt£16.53 / 25kg sack
Pale Craft Malt£16.53 / 25kg sack.
Pilsner Malt£16.53 / 25kg sack
Lager Malt£16.53 / 25kg sack
Pale Maris Otter Malt£18.30 / 25kg sack
Extra Pale Maris Otter Malt£18.30 / 25kg sack
Mild Malt£16.58 / 25kg sack
Pale 50/50 MO/Propino£17.38 / 25kg sack
Super Pale Malt£18.65 / 25kg sack.
Organic Ale Malt£26.85 / 25kg sack
SPECIALITY MALTS
Munich£18.05 / 25kg sack
Vienna£19.03 / 25kg sack
Cara Malt 10£28.65 / 25kg sack
Cara Malt 30£21.68 / 25kg sack
Crystal 110£21.53 / 25kg sack
Crystal 150£21.80 / 25kg sack
Crystal 240£21.48 / 25kg sack
Crystal 400£20.70 / 25kg sack
Light Chocolate£22.10 / 25kg sack
Chocolate£22.00 / 25kg sack
Amber£22.95 / 25kg sack
Brown£22.90 / 25kg sack
Black£20.10 / 25kg sack
Roasted Barley£19.85 / 25kg sack.
Toasted Barley Flakes£21.88 / 20kg sack.
Wheat Malt£18.85 / 25kg sack
Malted Wheat Flakes£17.98 / 25kg sack.
Torrified Wheat£18.20 / 25kg sack
Melanoidin Wheat£18.23 / 25kg sack
Pale Rye Malt£21.60 / 25kg sack
Dark Crystal Rye Malt£24.10 / 25kg sack
Malted Rye Flakes£26.10 / 25kg sack.
Oat Malt£26.33 / 25kg sack
Dextrin Malt£17.18 / 25kg sack

These are slightly higher than we are paying in S Cheshire, but I guess they reflect higher transport costs. At this point I have assumed delivery to Guilford (sorry @Wynne)

Muntons also feel that it be best if we use our account here in S Cheshire that @chopps and I have

So we are happy to do this to get things moving

So what is needed from you in London is

- a person to collate orders and keep in touch with us at [email protected]

- someone to receive 40 bags and store it until people collect - don't quite know if you have volunteered here @Wynne. People do collect within 2 or 3 days

Once you have a 40 bag order we will message people for payment and buy the malt for delivery

So at this stage let's assume that an order is placed in May/June

Please express an interest in what you might buy - no commitments at this stage

Who will collate the orders?

Who will receive the pallet?

Come on - you can't let us northerners beat you

I'm in Essex, very interested, can't store, but willing to distribute if needed. Not sure if this helps, just putting it out there

It might be a good idea if people who are intrested in the group buy, to give us a general idea of how many bags you would want.
This is just purely to get a "rough" idea.

Me 3 x25kg minimum.

Thanks again OB acheers.

Thanks L

It's exactly what we need - people who are interested - no pressure but what might you take - just trying to get a sense of potential order size
I'm new to all grain, only done a couple of partial mashes and a couple of 1 gallon AG so I suppose a sack of extra Pale maris otter or pilsner malt. I like hoppy pilsner and hoppy pale ale if anyone wants to suggest anything I'm here to fail to succeed as long as I make beer I'll drink it. I have a brewzilla on order from brewkegtap

I'm new to all grain, only done a couple of partial mashes and a couple of 1 gallon AG so I suppose a sack of extra Pale maris otter or pilsner malt. I like hoppy pilsner and hoppy pale ale if anyone wants to suggest anything I'm here to fail to succeed as long as I make beer I'll drink it. I have a brewzilla on order from brewkegtap
Where do you get your recipes from

Have you looked at Brewfather Brewfather or brewers friend Search Beer Recipes | Brewer's Friend

They both have loads of free recipes

Latest posts

Back