Malt Group Buy in London/Berkshire Area

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just done a very rough totting up of peoples replies and I counted about 17 sacks claimed. We're basically half way there and I could probably take another sack for myself too.

@Obadiah Boondoggle, do you have a good way to track what is being requested that we could 'borrow'? Like a google spreadsheet or something?

If not I could try and bodge something...
Hi R

Thinking about it, I am not sure that our spreadsheet would be that helpful. We use it to control stock levels for jointly owned stock (a group of us here buy and share malt between us)

We use Google Sheets as this is shared on the internet, and it allows a few of us to input and see where things are up to

We simply list all the malts in the first column with the price in the second column. We list both price per sack and price per kg. We do split some bags and sell in 3 kg bags, so we need both prices

I imagine that you will just be dealing in whole bags, so price per bag would do

Then each subsequent column is for a member that is buying - cells calculating in such a way as at the bottom of each member's column is the amount owed

We have asked our local Crisp contact for the details of the contact for Crisp in your area, up here they are currently willing to accept orders for 20 bags - so you may be nearer than you think!

I do hope that you can get this going and @chopps and I are happy to give whatever advice is needed to set up your own independent buying co-operative

HI: just caught this thread. Very interested, based in Sussex but happy to travel to London/South East to collect. I'd be up for 3 to 5 25kg sacks of base malt and if we managed to split into smaller (e.g. 10kg) then would be up for specialty malts.

So yeah as @Obadiah Boondoggle said, it might be worth getting in on this before prices go nuts.

I'm in the Herts/Beds/Bucks area and am looking to get in on the next Bulk Buy order, Looking for people to join in so that we can have only one person has to go up to collect to save on fuel / or alternatively arrange delivery to somewhere we can distribute from a more centrally to those of us in and around London.

Let the cat herding commence.

Does anyone have access to somewhere with the space near one of the main routes to receive and store a full pallet of malt until it is collected or distributed? I enquired at a couple of local breweries (Hogs Back and Tillingbourne), unfortunately, they didn’t have the handling/storage capacity to accommodate a group buy.

Does anyone have access to somewhere with the space near one of the main routes to receive and store a full pallet of malt until it is collected or distributed? I enquired at a couple of local breweries (Hogs Back and Tillingbourne), unfortunately, they didn’t have the handling/storage capacity to accommodate a group buy.
Great idea W!

Why would they do that? It's not in their interest at all. And they won't even fill your cornies if you get struck... I wondering they bothered to reply to you ...
Unfortunately I don't have a garage yet, maybe next year or so.

I'm in Surrey, I have a garage, but it's not suitable as last time I stored my malt there one of the bags got nibbled by vermin 😒

I find with the malt buy up north, as soon as the bags arrive I try to get down asap (or even on the day) to collect. That way you reduce that risk. If you organise it in that way then anyone delaying collection does so at they own risk. I’m not sure how quickly the rest of the bags shift but it shouldn’t be too long.

Why would they do that? It's not in their interest at all. And they won't even fill your cornies if you get struck... I wondering they bothered to reply to you ...
Unfortunately I don't have a garage yet, maybe next year or so.
Homebrewers are beer enthusiasts who buy beer as well as make it - not all brewers take a narrow view as to what is "in their interest". I have come across some breweries who sell 25Kg sacks of malt (albeit at a mark up), some who sell fresh wort and some who will fill customers containers with bright beer. If folk are going to make their own beer anyway why not sell them the ingredients?

Okay, I'm trying to get this setup in Bedford! I've joined the local homebrew club who have a good bunch of members, and currently trying to steal Obadiah's knowledge to make this happen. Anyone forum based is welcome to get in in this too! Hopefully I can post something more concrete in a few days!

Back